Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

I

12 Posts

February 4th, 2017 10:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell Update stuck on "SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools" update

Dell Update reports there's an update for  "SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools". When I click Install Now, it looks like it installed, but it reports the same update again an hour later (or immediately if I force update check).

I have this problem on two XPS 13 9550's, and this thread shows five other users (and counting) having the problem on machines including XPS 15, Inspiron 15-7569.

Is Dell aware of this installer bug, and will there be a fix? That notification balloon is really irritating.

1 Message

February 5th, 2017 10:00

Same thing on my XPS 15. This has been happening for a week or more. There must be a config file/XML file or registry setting to ignore this update (unless it is important).

3 Posts

February 5th, 2017 14:00

Have had the same problem for 2 or 3 weeks on XPS 15 9550

1 Message

February 5th, 2017 16:00

I tried to click into that other thread, but Dell says it no longer exists.

Meanwhile, add one more to the list of people with this issue. It's an Inspiron 15-5559 in my case.

33 Posts

February 5th, 2017 16:00

I think I'm the one with the Inspiron 15-7569 that has this same thing happening. Windows 10 Home Operating System.

It's been happening for a couple of weeks now.  Every time my laptop does the Dell update, it wants to Update the Support Assist OS Recovery.  I perform the update, but  3 days later, the exact same update request occurs.

Is there a fix coming from Dell?  Or should we try uninstalling and reinstalling Support Assist??  

I've been waiting a while on this thinking that Dell may resolve this, but it hasn't happened yet.  Uninstalling and reinstalling "might" resolve it, but then again, there is no guarantee that it will.  I'd rather not go this route unless I'm forced to.  

Hoping Dell is working on this and that they send a fix along with their periodic updates!    

• 

16.7K Posts

February 6th, 2017 06:00

Ico22,

You can click the link below for information on support assist. Also, if you have Windows 10 installed you may want to read the section on on Windows 10.

Dell SupportAssist for PCs and tablets
http://dell.to/2lgce7D

1 Message

February 6th, 2017 07:00

Hi Jesse,

that does not help at all. What information for solving the problem should we get from there? I think we all know what SupportAssist is...

Regards,

Andreas

12 Posts

February 6th, 2017 08:00

DELL-Jesse L, we've tried everything a user can do. This issue is a legitimate installer bug involving the "OS Recovery Tools". Could you escalate this issue? The installer engineers need to see this thread.

3 Posts

I uninstalled SupportAssist and reinstalled it as suggested It did not work. I still get popup every time I boot computer that asks me to download Update for SuportAssist OS recovery tools. It claims to download and install immediately, but repeats the popup everytime I reboot.

My programs also include Dell SupportAssistAgent, Dell System Detect, Dell Dock Update, Dell Update, Dell Update-SupportAssist Update Plugin.

2 Posts

Same issue here: XPS 15 9550, Windows 10 Pro

"SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools" update notificatiion popping up after every restart.

Dell, please fix or provide a workaround to disable the popup!

7 Posts

February 6th, 2017 11:00

Same here. Dell update keeps suggesting to install "SupportAssis OS Recover Tool".

EVEN THO I don't even HAVE that darn SupportAssist tool installed! ( I made a topic about a similar update issue )

After I click "Install now", Dell update shows the following:

However, when I click "Check for updates" again on the Dell Update icon in the taskbar, I get the same update suggested:

Let's get this fixed, shall we?

2 Posts

February 6th, 2017 12:00

This thread is clearly giving Dell the details of a BUG in your software. We didnt ask what this software does, we asked when are you dell experts gonna look into the bug?

2 Posts

February 6th, 2017 12:00

i have the same issue on my XPS15 win10 pro. Where is the dell support?

4 Posts

February 6th, 2017 13:00

Had the same problem... Solved it by running Dell System Detect: go on web support, select "Drivers and Downloads", click tab "Guide me" and install and run "Dell system detect".   I used it to download a driver (which failed to install, by the way! But that's not relevant here.)  Once that was done, I exited System Detect and rebooted.

And now the problem seems to be gone!

Let me know if it works for you.  It seems the bug is in Dell Update which forgets to register that it has done the update.  However Dell System Detect seems to be doing the job.

1 Message

February 6th, 2017 14:00

I have the same problem (XPS15).  One of my co-workers confirmed he has the same problem.  The Dell Update software is stuck in a loop....   Please fix.

7 Posts

February 7th, 2017 01:00

More flaky software from Dell - and idiotic replies to requests for help. Like explaining what SA is when we are asking you to stop the stupid popup. In what way does this help us? Duh.

"Install now" or "remind me later" doesn't really offer much of a choice does it?

If you can't test releases properly or hire good enough software engineers in the first place, please do us the favour of fixing these bugs quickly.

No Events found!