Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

I

12 Posts

February 4th, 2017 10:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell Update stuck on "SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools" update

Dell Update reports there's an update for  "SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools". When I click Install Now, it looks like it installed, but it reports the same update again an hour later (or immediately if I force update check).

I have this problem on two XPS 13 9550's, and this thread shows five other users (and counting) having the problem on machines including XPS 15, Inspiron 15-7569.

Is Dell aware of this installer bug, and will there be a fix? That notification balloon is really irritating.

1 Message

February 7th, 2017 01:00

Same thing here on my 15-5559. This is getting VERY tiresome.

• 

16.7K Posts

February 7th, 2017 04:00

jock7,

I will escalate this issue to the engineers. and post back here on this thread once i get a response. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. 

2 Posts

February 7th, 2017 04:00

Same issue here: XPS 15 9550, Windows 10 Pro

"SupportAssist OS Recovery Tools" update notificatiion popping up multiple times during the day.

Update appears to install, but then asks to update repeatedly throughout the day.

The popup stays on the screen and demands user intervention to "install now" or "remind me later."

12 Posts

February 7th, 2017 08:00

Thanks, Jesse! We appreciate your help contacting engineering. If we don't hear back, keep bugging them ;) I'm happy to help them debug (have two XPS 13's w/the problem, and no qualms reinstalling a machine).

Let me state to anyone reading this forum that the manner in which some users have conducted themselves in conversation here is childish and disrespectful. Pointing fingers at and disrespecting Jesse is not the way to get good, friendly, helpful technical support, even if his first response to the thread didn't exactly address the support request. A concise reply saying that the URL provided didn't address the issue is all that was necessary.

Being behind a keyboard and an anonymizing community name doesn't give anyone the right to act like garbage to another living being. If someone called me out for acting this way, I would feel ashamed.

Please people, think about what you put out into the world. Make it a better place.

--

For the record, I too am having the same problem on an XPS 8900 desktop PC. For those requesting at least a workaround for that "tiresome" button click on each reboot, you can uninstall the Dell Update application and monitor this thread until a permanent fix is provided.

Same problem: XPS15 (9550). The update never "sticks"

7 Posts

February 7th, 2017 15:00

Tell them to stop pushing updates for SupportAssist in general when users don't even have SupportAssist installed and they DON'T want to install it. Thank you.

29 Posts

February 7th, 2017 17:00

XPS 13 same issue.  Rather annoying as I keep hoping the update is to fix the  dock.

33 Posts

February 7th, 2017 17:00

Albert1......RE: your fix.  Have you gone 3 days with a new Dell Update to confirm that this resolved your issue?  

My laptop updates from Dell every 3 days, at which time this annoying update keeps popping up....

February 8th, 2017 11:00

For the record, you are NOT the internet police

February 8th, 2017 12:00

same happening to me as well. I got here by googling in search for a solution. I have an XPS 13 9350.

I don't wanna uninstall Dell Update (although it's pretty useless).

1 Message

February 8th, 2017 14:00

Yes - I have the same issue with my Inspiron 3250.  The Update is obviously faulty so there will be lots of people with the same problem, and the installation engineers will need to fix the mess they have created!

2 Posts

February 8th, 2017 16:00

I tried this process albert1, and it didn't work for me. I'm still getting the annoying pop-up.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2017 16:00

I am having the exact same issue on my Dell XPS 15 9550. I've been dealing with this annoying, harassing pop-up for weeks now, and I've "installed" that seemingly useless software more times than I can count, assuming it's actually installing anything. It would be really nice if Dell would do something about this.

1 Message

February 8th, 2017 17:00

Same as above.

Coincidentally my problem started within a week from when my support contract expired

No Events found!