Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2017 12:00

Dell XPS 13 : booting from SD card

I have recently bought a Dell XPS 13 9360 with windows 10 pre-installed. I want to use ubuntu and don't want to mess the system at the same time.

So, I tried installing ubuntu 16.04.2 into an SD card and tried booting.

However, the SD card is not listed as a boot option even under legacy mode.

Is there a way to "add boot option" under the UEFI menu???

Thanks for the help.

1 Message

August 6th, 2017 03:00

Hi,

I came across the same problem myself and fixed it by a chance...

First of all, if you use a USB pen drive/USB card reader you don't need to do anything, just press F12 at boot time and select your drive.

If you want to boot from your SD card reader, you first need to enable the booting from the SD card in the BIOS. To do that:

1: press F2 immediately after the boot

2: in the BIOS, go to System Configuration, Miscellaneous Devices

3: Enable Secure Digital (SD) Card Boot

4: Quit saving your changes.

So obvious isn't it?

Enjoy!

1 Message

June 3rd, 2018 06:00

Hi @Mickey82!
Just followed your guide and now i can see the SD Card as a bootable option, but even with a live made with LiLi USB Creator i'm not able to boot from the SD Card, i get an error and the PC start scanning for hardware issues restarting the PC afterwards, what else did you do to make it work?

1 Message

June 19th, 2018 22:00

Have you find the problem yet?, I am trying to do the same thing and it won't work!!

1 Message

October 29th, 2018 04:00

I have the same issue

1 Message

December 12th, 2018 07:00

Did you ever find a solution for this?

1 Message

December 13th, 2018 01:00

Greetings from South Africa After hours of frustration, the answer was quite simple.

Mine specifically is a Dell XPS13 9370, so it should work for all 9370's. As always, make sure your BIOS is on the latest version, if not already.

In your BIOS,, go to System Configuration/Miscellaneous Devices and enable "Secure Digital (SD) Card Boot". Save and Reboot. Done. I did installs in both Legacy mode and UEFI, Secure Boot enabled and disabled and all three times it works just perfect.

On a side note, Installs on a standard SD seems a bit sluggish, guessing that's due to SD speeds. So I bought a SDHC 32Gb card, did a clean install and let Linux decide partitioning. The system booting and running of the SD seems as responsive as a Mechanical HDD, so I'm quite happy with it. My Windows install on the NVMe was left intact, no changes to boot settings which I'm quite happy with. Boot order is set to SD card first and I'll use F12 for booting to Windows. Your choices obviously may differ.

Hope this works for you

Enjoy

Presler

1 Message

March 29th, 2019 02:00

thanks

No Events found!