Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2016 13:00

Dell XPS 8900 migrate Windows 10 to SSD

I recently purchased an XPS 8900 with Win 10 Home installed. I want to run the OS & apps off an SSD, but the methods to get that to happen have not worked so far, namely cloning the HD to the SSD. Pretty much everything I've seen on the forums here and on the internet don't seem to take into consideration UEFI, which has proven be an enormous PITA in this process, as i have to keep switching between UEFI and Legacy modes to get the system to (try to) boot off the SSD.

The install is fresh - i.e. no user data yet, so I'm not worried about losing that data. The recovery partitions are intact. I created a recovery USB drive from within Windows 10. Any guidance on this would be welcome. Thanks!

2.3K Posts

July 5th, 2016 10:00

Hello!  You should be able to download the recovery and restore image here.  From there you can create your media on USB drive, then take out the HDD and switch it with the SDD and restore your computer to factory defaults.  You may need to disable SecureBoot from the UEFI/BIOS

2 Posts

July 6th, 2016 07:00

Thank you for the response. This is pretty much what I ended up doing.

3 Posts

September 18th, 2017 17:00

I been try to clone the 2tb to the 256gb M.2 but fail to boot. keep saying the partition you try to boot is missing. When I already took out the 2tb only the 256gb M.2 in the system. Step I have done so far. enable legacy and disable secure boot to boot with acronis and restore image to 256gb m.2 which went well. once done restart computer push f2 to go to bios change back to UEFI and enable secure. Move 256gb m.2 to the top of of boot sequence. and reboot. however keep getting missing partition. I have a feeling somehow it still try to read for the 2tb. any suggestion??? I use acronis on other device with window 10 before and have good result, but never try on dell system. I'm not sure if it make a different and error is sometime show something about not able to locate windows\system32\winload.efi and 0xc0000225 or something similar. Any help is greatly appreciated.

3 Posts

September 18th, 2017 18:00

side note I even put in windows 10 dvd and do a recovery from there with no luck either. this is with m.2 256gb only on the system.

15 Posts

September 18th, 2017 21:00

For all I know, Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8, Windows 10 can boot from GPT disk or UEFI boot mode. you can boot off your SSD only if you enable UEFI mode after you migrate OS to GPT disk( https://www.backup-utility.com/clone/migrate-mbr-os-to-gpt-4348.html )

hope it works for you.

3 Posts

September 19th, 2017 02:00

I solved my own problem. clone with new acronis and everything work perfect. Thank you

1 Message

September 14th, 2018 16:00

Thanks for the responses. I'm doing the same thing but what if I don't want to reset to Dell's factory defaults but just a regular fresh clean Windows 10 with (no extra apps) to the SSD?

January 23rd, 2021 05:00

Hello,

Do you know, please, if I can put the EFI partition on the new SSD of my XPS 8900?

Thanks

No Events found!