Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 23rd, 2017 12:00

External device not seen [actually seen and rejected] on onl7 one USB port

External device not seen [actually seen and rejected, two dings heard- one for 'device detected and immediately followed by second 'device ejected tone] on one USB port, but second port works fine. System is a XPS 12 9Q23 running Windows 10. External device is a B&N Nook ereader for ebooks.

Dell USB and External drive diagnostics find no problem. 

All USB ports deleted and then detected successfully in Device Manager.

Device scan [windows]  does not see device even though device is attached.

Other devices work fine on the same port that rejects Nook.

What is wrong? how to fix?

Thx for any response, Stan

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

April 25th, 2017 13:00

Hi there, when the port fails to work can you go to Device Manager and see if there are any devices showing an exclamation point? If there are, please right click on them (could be the drive/usb port) and then go to properties and see if there are any error codes being displayed on the device status. 

If there are not any errors being displayed and the ports that work are the same bus speed as the one that is not working you will want to look into resetting the USB ports, there should be a decent guide from Microsoft (at least there was). Also, did you do a clean install of Windows 10/Upgrade? And also did the port ever work with that device?

Best regards,

Brad 

8 Posts

April 25th, 2017 18:00

Device Manager- no category or sub device has ? mark.

Port reset- Tried finding something on Windows 10 section of MS, but did not find a good match. Tried a few things just in case.  Like hardware trouble shooter. Tried these- windowsreport.com/.../  no fix with Solutions 1, 2, 3, did not do Solution 4, no Fast Start as it does not seem relevent to my issue.

Clean Install- did upgrade from 8 long ago

All ports work with other devices, and this device [ebook] also was working on all ports. This device now works on other port, but not on this one. Again other devices work on this same port, only ebook is immediately ejected. "Device recognized" beep sounds when the ebook is plugged in, but that beep in immediately followed by the "Ejected" beep.

Had this same issue once before and repaired it, but seem to have for gotten to add that to my 'How I repaired that Notebook'.

Thx Stan.

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

April 27th, 2017 16:00

Thanks for the update, let me see if I can find something else we can try. If anything changed let me know.

Best regards,

Brad

8 Posts

April 29th, 2017 19:00

Thx, it seems to me that since all devices work on port 2 and all but the ebook work on port 1, there must be a s/w record for each port and a list of devices attached. This list could be corrupt for port 1/ebook? My guess, but not all that knowledgeable about the last several O/S releases how this is done. Suspect it is a registry issue?  

Community Manager

• 

2.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 17:00

I haven't found the fix I was looking for but it is something like that, where the port has basically married itself to the device with it being recognized wrong, I haven't seen it in long time but did come across it on Windows 7. 

When you uninstalled the USB Root Hubs, did you uninstall all of them? I will see if there is anything else I can find. One last question, on the USB ports are any of them different speeds (the ones that work vs the one that doesn't)? 

Best regards,

Brad

8 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 20:00

Below is an image of my Device Manager screen. I uninstalled everything below Universal Serial Bus Controller. I think there is a USB 3 port but do not know which it is. The right side of the XPS12 has 2 USB ports plus a smaller one [I believe it must be an external video port]. The front USB has a lightning bolt symbol that the rear one does not.

So just to refresh me, I repeated the uninstall of all devices under' USB controllers' category. Started from 'composite devices' then from the bottom on hubs. Uninstalling Hubs 3 and 4 from the list caused hubs 1 and 2 to disappear also. Next was 'USB 3 controller' and finally 'USB enhanced controllers'. With all items deleted,l I then did a 'Scan for Hardware changes' and everything reappeared in short order.
Next I connected a cell phone to the front [bad] port, it was not detected, connected it to the back port, again not detected. Attempted to close 'device manager' app- it won't close. forced closed with Task Manager. Reopened 'device manager' attempted to 'Scan for H/W changes, same small box appears 'Scanning Plug and Play compliant hardware'. It does not go away after about 2-3 minutes, I closed all apps and restarted the computer.

For 10 minutes screen showed 'restarting do not turn power off' to reach black [thinking oh *** what now!!], then black screen gone and 'restarting' appears, then 'Oops an error occurred, collecting error information' appears  [thinking OOH Double ***]. Then get 'Recovery' screen with 'advanced options' or 'restart', choose 'restart', all seemed okay right through login. So to be more confident, I did a new 'restart' and all progressed normally right through the login. 

So back to where I was- will a device be recognized? Connected a GPS receiver to good port = auto detected, seen by file manager and ejected okay,  moved to bad port = detected, file mgr, and ejected ok. 

Connect cell phone to good port= detected beep, shows in file manager, but no USB icon available to eject and no eject command in file manager, so just removed it. And repeated on bad port = same as other port = all is well so far.

Connect ebook to good port [rear one] = detected tone, file mgr shows, USB  info box [Open Devices] shows it, click eject, safe to remove appears. Unplug = removed tone, file mgr removes device from list]. All is well so far.

Connect ebook to 'bad' port [with lightning bolt] get detected tone immediately followed by ejected tone. I could be mistaken I suppose, but I am quite sure the ebook has worked on this port many times in the past.

So not sure how to tell which Hub is used for what, assuming hierarchy is Host Controller, Root Hub, Composite Device [though I do not know what this means]. I do not know how to determine what device is connected to what port either.

Your thoughts, thx, Stan

No Events found!