Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 10th, 2017 11:00

Fake windows being continually asked to Alt-Tab Task view in Windows 10

On new Inspiron 3668, when I switch to the Task View (Alt-Tab), I see the active windows, but also a number of fake blank windows titled 3459.  These windows continue to grow in number as I continue to use the PC. You cannot switch to them, they just create noise in the Task View.

Any idea what causes these to be created? See attached screenshot.

5 Posts

September 12th, 2017 12:00

I found the problem with help from Dell support. It is a virus that was downloaded as part of a freeware app install package.

* Look for all instances of willies.exe on your PC. You'll see it in your Task Manager, but no matter what you do, you won't be able to delete source files. They are in multiple locations.

* Download unlocker.exe and use to delete all instances of willies.exe, Folder: Rejuvenate, Beaverton, etc. Any other folders created with same date/timestamp of willies.exe install.

* Reboot.

* Another alternative to unlocker is rebooting in safe mode with nothing loaded. Unlocker worked fine.

* To test it's gone, go into Task Veiw (Alt-Tab) and ensure no orphan windows showing. Also go into Task Manager and ensure no instances of willies.exe running.

No Events found!