Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2020 06:00

File Sharing Not Working

I receive the "you do not have permission to access" error when attempting to access files between an Alienware desktop and a dell laptop.  I have a Sony laptop and it is able to access files on both of those pc's and they can access the Sony.

I am running Windows 10 home, all units are in the same workgroup.

My wireless setup is a Velop mesh network.

All network settings across the 3 pc's are identical.

Has anyone else run into this situation?  If so, is there a solution?  I have tried everything I can find on the web to no avail.

What specific Alienware desktop model? DELL-Admin

11 Posts

July 6th, 2020 15:00

Glad you were able to work your problem out.  Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, it didn't work.  The Dells still will not allow access to each other, but the Sony accesses them both just fine. We'll see what the Geek squad can do.  Maybe they know how to get Dells to network with each other.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

May 4th, 2020 11:00

Home network file sharing is often very tricky depends on administrator vs regular user account setting on each pc.  It might be easier to upload file to cloud server for universal sharing.

11 Posts

May 4th, 2020 14:00

Dell Admin:

The desktop is Alienware A6

The laptop is Dell G7

11 Posts

June 13th, 2020 14:00

I assume there is no one on the Dell staff that wants to touch this one?  Dell admin asked me a questions, to which I responded, but they have ghosted me.

They did not "ghost" you. They asked for the specific service tag numbers. You never provided them. Dell cannot assist you without them. DELL-Admin

Maybe they know that the problem is with Dell machines and they want to avoid the answer.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 13th, 2020 16:00

There are several videos and tutorials on the internet about setting-up the Windows-10 peer-to-peer (server-less) networking.

One thing that might help is creating a simple folder like C:\SHARED on the Dell and share-it .

Also, I've seen machines incorrectly come-up as connected to a Public network ... instead of the proper Private setting. This causes various problems and must be set to Private when at home.

I've also seen locally-installed anti-virus/software-firewall software  (ie Norton Security ) block local network connections . Windows Defender and Windows Firewall work fine and do not exhibit this problem.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 13th, 2020 19:00

Home Group was removed from windows 10.

Note

HomeGroup has been removed from Windows 10 (Version 1803) and newer.

For more info, see HomeGroup removed from Windows 10 (Version 1803).

After feature update to 1803 or higher, you won’t be able to share files and printers using HomeGroup.

Newer versions share files from

Use an app to share

Use OneDrive

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027674

See

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4092694/windows-10-file-sharing-over-a-network

In Windows 10, some features of file and folder sharing over a network have changed, including the removal of HomeGroup. Read on for answers to common questions about other changes to file and folder sharing in Windows 10.

To share a file or folder in File Explorer, do one of the following:

• Right-click or press a file, select Give access to > Specific people.

• Select a file, select the Share tab at the top of File Explorer, and then in the Share with section select Specific people.

11 Posts

June 15th, 2020 16:00

Thanks for the thought.  These were not Homegroup shares.

The network is private.  Norton has not interfered with file sharing on these machines with a Sony.

Sony Laptop can access files on both Dells and the Dells can access files on the Sony.  No problems.  The Dells will not share with each other.

11 Posts

June 15th, 2020 16:00

I was referring to my initial post where Dell-Admin only asked for the specific model of Alienware desktop.  I did not see the private messages that were sent just a couple of days ago.  My bad.

It's just frustrating that the Dell and Alienware can talk to the Sony and the Sony can talk to the Dell and Alienware, but the Dell and Alienware will not talk to each other when the network settings are identical on all three machines and all are running Norton 360 and all firewall settings on all machines are identical.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2020 11:00

If you are classed as Private, and setup c:\shared on the Dell

... and it's still not working (at least able to browse network in Explorer) ... then I suggest you try these steps until it works:

- Temporarily disable the Norton-360 software firewall
- Setup the proper pin-hole Exemptions in Norton Firewall
- Temporarily un-install Norton-360 .

19 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 08:00

I am having very similar problems with file sharing using Windows 10.

Dell laptop running Windows 10 Pro, HP laptop running Windows 10 Home, wired connection.

The Dell has no issues accessing shared folders on the HP.  But the HP refuses to access the Dell.

The HP 'sees' the Dell in 'Network', but gives the message "You do not have permission to access \\Dell-PC"  when clicked.

Same workgroup, Network set to 'Private', folders shared with 'Everyone', all required Services running.

McAfee is running on the Dell, and will not map my network.

McAfee is also running on the HP, and maps the network easily.

It seems as though there is something on the Dell that is interfering with certain network functions.

I am open to any and all suggestions!!

11 Posts

June 24th, 2020 15:00

Spoiler
With me, non-Dells can work with either Dell just fine.  Dells don't like each other.  I find that odd.
With me, non-Dells can work with either Dell just fine.  Dells don't like each other.  I find that odd.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 28th, 2020 00:00

HomeGroup has been removed from Windows 10.
For more info, see HomeGroup removed from Windows 10 .
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4091368

After you install the update, you won’t be able to share files
and printers using HomeGroup.
However, you can still do these things by using features that are built into Windows 10.

To learn how to share printers in Windows 10, Share your network printer.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4089224

To learn how to share files, see Share files in File Explorer.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027674

The HomeGroup (view) and HomeGroup (view and edit) options still appear in Windows 10 (Version 1803 or later) when you right-click a folder in File Explorer and then point to Give access to. However, neither option does anything. To share a file or folder, select Specific people from the same shortcut menu instead. 

19 Posts

June 28th, 2020 16:00

My issue was resolved by following the detailed steps here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/111783-share-files-folders-over-network-windows-10-a.html

11 Posts

June 28th, 2021 00:00

BaanmanIndy, did you find a resolution as I’m going through the same conundrum. Dell XPS 9570 laptop and Dell OptiPlex 7780 AIO just doesn’t want to talk to each other 2 days ago Dell XPS laptop could access/send files/folders to Dell OptiPlex AIO but now that is not even happening have done everything suggested in the link provided by BigRon55 https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/111783-share-files-folders-over-network-windows-10-a.html 
but no luck! Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

1 Message

July 21st, 2021 00:00

The issue may well be User Account related.   I have had cases where File sharing fails as you describe. My solution was to set up a new Admin User account on the host machine and use its credentials (Username and password) for sharing.instead.  Any Admin account should work including the built in Administrator.

I dont know the reason unfortunately.  Good Luck.

No Events found!