Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

5 Posts

January 7th, 2021 10:00

Inspiron 3543, fail to register window 8 after factory reset

Hello,

This is my dad's laptop, Inspiron 3543. I helped him to finish factory reset. The laptop keeps asking me for a window licence code. I tried to find licence code from DELL email/invoice and the bottom of the laptop. Nowhere I could obtain it. Isn't it I did the factory reset wrong? Please help.

And also, if possible, is it ok to update to window 10 free now?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Lisa

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 9th, 2021 09:00

Sometimes there were problems with Windows 8 Factory Resets that led to installation of the wrong Edition of Windows 8 for example Windows 8 Home instead of Windows 8 Home Single Language. This was the main source of problems for OEM activation issues and Microsoft addressed our feedback when it came to Windows 10.

All the activation mechanisms for Windows 10 still work. Windows 10 installation media is multi-edition and should automatically pickup the product key from any Windows 8.0 OEM License embedded in the UEFI BIOS. It will automatically activate when online. If it asks for a Product Key, then it means the motherboard has no OEM License.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2021 17:00

Thank you for your information.

I followed and tried to install Window 10 instead. However, no lucks. It failed.

On the Windows 10 setup page, it mentions: "Setup has failed to validate the product key".

May I know any suggestions from you again!? thank you so much

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

January 13th, 2021 19:00

Is there a Windows 8 key ? Perhaps under the battery?

Is it Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 ?

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000154053/windows-8-1-oem-operating-system-image-download

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 14th, 2021 10:00

Did you try booting from the Windows 10 USB directly? Or did you launch the setup from the old Windows installation?

No Events found!