Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2016 13:00

Inspiron 5559 won't boot unless I close and open lid after Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Since I updated my Dell Inspiron to the Windows 10 Anniversary edition I've come up with two problems.

The first was that it the laptop would automatically restart if Shut Down was selected with no possibility of really shutting down. This was solved by turning off the Fast Startup in power options. Now it takes too much time considering I'm using a SSD

The second one is still unresolved and it is that the laptop freezes every time I turn it on at the Dell logo and the only way of making it boot is by closing and opening the lid againAfter that it boots normaly. 

I've tried different power options with no success. Power troubleshooter doesn't detect anything. It also happens with no usb devices attached.

I don't know if it is sofware or hardware related

Any ideas?

UPDATE1: I've formatted and installed windows again and the problem persists... so It's definetly hardware or BIOS

December 15th, 2020 07:00

I finally resolved this - it's been a while so I don't remember all the details.  There was a viral/malware that inserted itself into the Windows(or Dell) Power Management utility.  Closing the lid circumvented the power management utility long enough to allow a reboot - I spent several hours with Dell techs and they were completely stumped, ended up resolving it myself.  Once I got the power management issue fixed, CC cleaner was eliminating a file that was actually needed, which caused similar issues.  It was extremely frustating, as I have absolutely no patience whatsoever for this type of issue.  It is fixable however - wish you would have gotten to me a little sooner while this was all fresh in my memory and I possibly could have helped you more.

• 

17K Posts

October 6th, 2016 06:00

small_eee,

When you installed Windows 10 did you install the Windows 10 Drivers for the computer? If not, click the link below to download. If the drivers were loaded you may want to run the diagnostics on the computer to check the hardware. Below is information to run the diagnostics.Unplug all devices from the computer.

The Dell Inspiron 5559 is shipped with the Dell™ Enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment (ePSA) diagnostics. ePSA has been significantly improved with a view to streamline the entire diagnostic process. Enhancements include simultaneous testing on multiple devices, automatic execution that can be interrupted to allow interactive test selection, and an intuitive graphical user interface (GUI).

Launching the Dell ePSA Diagnostics
During the boot process, ePSA is accessed from a cold boot by pressing the power button on and repeatedly tapping until the BIOS Boot Menu appears on the screen. Use the Up and Down Arrow keys to select Diagnostics on the menu, and then press .

Testing Devices using ePSA
ePSA begins by checking an area in the system memory to ensure it is safe, and then loads itself into the verified memory area. Then, ePSA automatically begins high-level algorithms on all system memory to ensure integrity.

ePSA starts running the quick test without waiting for user input.
To select a specific device to test, users can tap the Esc key to abort testing. Then click on the right-arrow on the bottom right of the screen.
A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE: The Touchpad/Mouse will not function when the test is in progress. This is as per design.

Make sure there is a cd/dvd in the optical drive when running the diags on the device.

List of Specific Devices
The following list shows the devices that can be tested using ePSA. Click on a specific device, press the play button to run the test.

Cables
PCIe Bus
LCD/Display Panel
Test Speaker
Hard Drive
CDROM Drive
OS Boot Path
USB Devices
Integrated Webcam
Video Card
CPU Fan
Processor
Memory
System Management

2 Posts

October 6th, 2016 06:00

Both the ePSA and the dell's website hardware check found 0 issues. Drivers are up to date vía dell's website assistant

• 

17K Posts

October 6th, 2016 07:00

small_eee.

I did a search and see that many users are complaining about Win10 freezing after updating. Below are a couple of links with some settings to change.

Win10 Freezing

Is Windows 10 Freezing? 

February 13th, 2020 11:00

OMG I thought I was losing my mind - I have a Inspiron 3793 and it hangs on boot until lid is opened/closed - I have an IT background and this makes no sense.  Just spent an hour on the phone with a Dell Tech and demonstrated it several times to prove a point.  He had no idea as to what was causing it.  Boot log has consistently shown failure to load ndproxy.sys and dxgkrnl.sys.  I have removed these, ran sfc /scannow, which rewrote these, and still have the exact same issue.  WINVER says I am running Version 1903, while Windows Update says I successfully installed Version 1090 last month.  I am at my wits end at this point.  Power setting is set to sleep on lid close.  Any other setting results in a permanent hang on Dell logo screen.

sfc/scannow returns no errors

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth – returns no errors

DXDIAG shows no errors

Dell Driver utility says everything is up to date.

Pre-OS recovery integrity scan shows no errors

December 10th, 2020 17:00

I've had the same issue for a month or two with my XPS 13 9350.  I think it started after a Windows update.

Drivers and BIOS are up to date, Windows 10 is up to date, I've tried tweaking power management settings, etc to no avail.

No Events found!