Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2015 16:00

Inspiron E1505 <------can i successfully upgrade this to Windows 10?

hi, there, one of my laptops that i use for business is a Dell Inspiron E1505 (in properties, it is listed as an "Inspiron I6400" model). the following are its specs:

1.86 GHz (1.87 GHz)

1.00 GB RAM

32-bit OS

Windows Vista Home Basic + SP2

graphics card: ?????????? (i have no idea where to find this info)

i'd like to upgrade this unit to Windows 7 for a reasonable price and then upgrade for free to Windows 10. so, my question is, is this unit ultimately compatible with a Windows 10 upgrade?

i would sincerely appreciate any input from someone who has this laptop model and who has tried to upgrade ultimately to Windows 10. if i can successfully do that, then i can use this unit for mobile sales via the PayPal Here credit card swiper (as an app currently exists for that). that way, i can still use a unit that is fully functional in the hardware and not create more e-waste.  <:-\ 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 29th, 2015 17:00

Even the least expensive Windows 7 upgrade will set you back upward of $100 -- more than the entire system is currently worth (they seem to be selling between $50-100 on EBay as used, working systems).

Stay with it as is for as long as it stays alive -- it's not worth upgrading the OS, and even Vista has some support life left in it.

7 Posts

August 29th, 2015 18:00

oh, i can purchase a windows 7 PRO disc for ~$70 and do a clean install--NOT an upgrade--and add back all the drivers, then upgrade for free from windows 7 to 10 (and then install the free paypal card swiper app for windows 10). this would be less costly than the $119-$199 to purchase and do a clean install with windows 10. so, that is my plan, but i just want to know if it is even feasible to do.

the reason i am even considering doing this in the first place is to use the credit card swiper on this specific laptop for my mobile sales, and the credit card swiper is only compatible with windows 8 and 10, but not with windows 7 (which i do currently have on a couple of other laptops).

paying $70 as a business expense is actually nothing compared to the other business costs, so, this cost is not a big deal for my company and it is not a personal, out of pocket expense. once again, i just want to know if this plan is technically feasible on this Inspiron E1505 model. will windows 10 work on this laptop model?

5.2K Posts

August 29th, 2015 20:00

The processor must be at least a Pentium 4 having the NX function. You need at least 2 GB RAM to get decent performance. The video will probably not have a Win 10 driver so a generic driver will be installed. I successfully installed Win 10 on an E1705, a cousin of the E1505. You might be able to get it working, but, as suggested above, you will be better to purchase any cheap laptop with Win 8 or 10. This will be a much easier and less troublesome route. 

7 Posts

August 29th, 2015 22:00

yes, i understand that i can buy a 'disposable' new laptop, but i just don't want to contribute to the e-waste problem. i don't like getting rid of perfectly functioning instruments, that is such a pet peeve of mine.

as for the specs, my E1505 has an intel core duo; and the official windows 10 site states that one needs 1 GB of RAM on a 32-bit system (which mine is).

it's great that you got it working on your E1705. if i do buy something to replace this E1505, then it will never get used again, meaning that i guess i don't have anything to lose by trying to convert it. if it works, then great! if it doesn't work, then i would have retired it in the alternate scenario. so, i guess i don't have much, if anything, to lose.

thanx! for your input. if there is anyone else out there that might have even more to contribute, it would be greatly appreciated.

7 Posts

August 29th, 2015 23:00

...if anyone might find this helpful, this is a thread about the video adapter on the Inspiron E1505 and making it work on win10:

answers.microsoft.com/.../afe37f39-ba1a-4359-b299-f657641d9f60

7 Posts

August 29th, 2015 23:00

aha! i found something promising. i am posting this for anyone else out there who might be in a similar or the same position.

i decided to visit the 'microsoft' community forum and discovered the link to download the windows 7 upgrade advisor. after installing on my vista laptop, it generated a report for me. it seems that i am indeed able to upgrade to either the 32-bit windows 7 home premium or ultimate version; the cpu speed is actually 1.9 GHz; it gives a green check mark to the ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 video card on this unit, but does state to make sure the latest drivers are installed for this or else it may not work; same message for the modem, but not sure i really care about the modem anyway.

overall, i see a majority of green checkmarks for many functions on this E1505 vista laptop, and some yellow warning signs, but those warning signs are for 3rd party software programs like mozilla firefox, adobe illustrator 9.0, flash slideshow maker, hp smart web printing, etc, and i'm sure the newer versions of these programs will work fine.

so, it very well looks like i might indeed be able to ugrade to windows 7 home premium or ultimate, and then i'm sure i'll be able to go from there to windows 10 without much issue. the major concern i have is with the video drivers, so, as long as i have a solution for that if necessary, then it looks like this might actually work after all. if not, then i can scrap this unit and get a tablet p.c. with windows 10 on it already.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/4997/3681.Windows-7-Upgrade-Advisor-Report.pdf:550:0]

1 Message

August 22nd, 2017 10:00

Hi. I have Dell E 1505 But my specs are:

RAM : 2 GB RAM

GPU RAM: 256 MB RAM

PROCESSOR : 1.66Ghz (Dual-Core Processor)

HARD DRIVE SPACE : 128 GB Storage

HARD DRIVE TYPE : Solid-State Drive

I too run Windows 7, but it's fine

It's Good, But I too faced some problems based on Graphics

But I didn't even get the graphics drivers for Windows 7 and I finally got it from Windows Update.

Thank God, I wasn't disappointed but still I have Problems with Graphics when I play Games but still performance was much better than before and most of my problems were resolved but not all problems.

If you use Windows 7 for Office Use Then It's Better to Upgrade, but I would prefer not to upgrade to Windows 10 because it would be much slower than Windows 7 and you High-End Specs for Better and Best Performance

No Events found!