Start a Conversation

Unsolved

1 Message

November 17th, 2019 13:00

Occasional Popping Noise from Speakers

Hi,

I recently had my Dell G3 3579 fixed, it had an issue with the GPU. The mainboard was replaced.

When I got it back, all audio that came out from my earphones was also going into the mic channel, so when I played games while in a call the other people could hear my game sound.

I fixed it by installing a different audio driver from Realtek. Now, instead of having "Speakers/Headphones" in the sound control panel tab it has two separate devices, "Speakers" and "Headphones". This worked, but when I don't have headphones plugged in it makes an occasional cracking sound from either the left or right in-built speaker, with no apparent cause. It happens randomly, but it's quite often when I launch a program or a program plays a sound.

I went to Dell's site and downloaded the latest audio driver for my laptop and now the "Speakers/Headphones" are combined again. The popping noise seems to have stopped, but my audio output is going back into the microphone channel again.

I've tried disabling/enabling audio enhancements, changing the audio quality setting, and pretty much everything in the properties tab of the Speakers. Does anybody know what's causing this?

Thanks, Daniel.

18 Posts

July 28th, 2020 03:00

I also have this issue without any previous issues mentioned by the OP.

It happens occasionally, without any other playback and happens always several times in a row with random few-second intervals. Then it stops for some time. The sound comes from speakers, without anything connected via jack.

The sound resembles that of a sudden disconnection of headphones, when the jack pins get short-circuit for split a second. It sounds just like power surge.

No Events found!