Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

August 5th, 2015 17:00

[Solved] Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

Hello,

I am having this issue after updated the System BIOS, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, Intel Chipset Driver and Intel Management Engine Interface Driver...but I am not sure which one of them cause this issue happen.

All of the indicator and fan is off after the laptop is shutdown, but it won't start up (no response, nothing is running) when I press the power button, so I need to hold the power button for 4 seconds to perform a force shutdown, and after this I am able to start up my laptop normally by pressing the power button again.

I've no idea how to fix this and I don't know whether those update driver I installed is the factor of causing this issue happen. It will be much appreciate if someone can give me a solution...

Thank you

Update - 7 July 2017

Recently performed a Windows 10 clean install on my laptop and this issue happens again. Here's the solution  to solve the problem which was suggested by rockyanexpert on 26 August 2015, Thank you!

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646584?pi43397=3

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647583264332.png

371 Posts

August 18th, 2015 09:00

hehe, im a lil scared too.. i put my hand by the fan to see if its off. after a week or so, i dont do it as often. but still worry now and then..

gotta say i like win 10 tho. a minor bug where my touchpad icon doesnt load on the bottom in the tray, which means my 2 finger scrollling not gonna work. not every time but sometime, found it easiest to jsut click restart, coz as u know win 10 loads so fast. but i can live with that, coz it works better then it did b4 win 8.1..

3 Posts

August 18th, 2015 09:00

my computer was also keep the usb ports on thats why i was trying to solve the problem..

17 Posts

August 18th, 2015 10:00

get rid of Intel Management Engine Interface Driver and let windows update install it . its been few days now and mine is always shutting off

53 Posts

August 18th, 2015 11:00

Hi allaloun!

That those usb-ports keep being powered after shutdown is a feature not a bug. Some laptops have a charging-possibility for for example your smartphone or so. Don't even know if it can be completely switched off. Tried it ones since I connected a cooling plate for under my laptop which is now always running. But that was BEFORE installing Windows 10 the same. So I'd say 'enjoy' it...

Greetings,

Ronald.

53 Posts

August 18th, 2015 13:00

'Why is this guy always carrying around his laptop on his shoulder?' 'Oh, that's a Dell-user, now he can hear if his laptop is off and stays off...' :o)

53 Posts

August 18th, 2015 14:00

Hm. Just wondering how you could type and see your screen wit an upside-down laptop. Ah, it's the Dell-way :-))))

371 Posts

hahahahaha

:emotion-42:

the first cpl days, left it upside down, so i could feel if it was warm by the CPU.. 

371 Posts

use to be able to change USB setting in device manager, whether or not the USB did anything in sleep mode. dont remember how, tht was windows 7 days. but i had switched one of mine to stay on to charge my MP3 player while in sleep mode. if ur not plugged in i guess u could run the battery down, but, a lil MP3 player probably wouldnt do much.

53 Posts

August 18th, 2015 16:00

***, guess what? MS just pushed an update and now I can only boot to a fricking blue screen :-((( I am so tired of this new Windows, so extremely tired. It happened after applying the brand new KB3081441 and KB 3081444. This whole Windows is a total joke and we as end users are left in the dark. Yes, am extremely *** of now!!!

1 Message

August 18th, 2015 16:00

Thank you for your test with the drivers. I applied your 3rd update which does resolve the issue.

371 Posts

August 18th, 2015 17:00

ur on a laptop right.. u need switch to metered connection. it will check for updates , but wont download till u press download. its in settings / network and internet / advanced options. it will not affect anything but those upgrades. i think tho, its up to u to ck for updates, which do every day and night anyway. 

also here is the page to that program i mentioned, letting u hide updates, which means stop them from being available to ur machine. 

if u can, would appreciate any info u can share abt how u fixed or whatever is goin on

support.microsoft.com/.../3073930

371 Posts

oh man, that sux. i got my laptop set as metered, so it doesnt download no updates until i press download. can u keep us updated on what's goin on. ill w8 on those obviously. how are u gonna boot to windows and stuff like that?

gonna be out of town tomorrow but gonna keep watching for wts what. 

also there is a new program , that u can use to block updates that cause problems. ill look it up and send a link, if u get back to normal, whatever that is..

53 Posts

Thanks for the tip, found that one also. BUT I am also stubborn. I paid €1100-something for a laptop of good quality and reputation. That this just half a year old machine can't work with Windows 10 would be ridiculous. So I kept thinking. First of all on one of those bluescreens in some reboots was mentioned the very cryptic error VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR. After doing a system restore to a moment just before installing those updates everything worked fine again.

You have to know that - on advise of MS themselves - I run the standard NVIDIA-drivers installed by Windows. This because last week NVIDIA's own full fledged-drivers led to a continuous reboot-loop after another bodged (botched? I always forget, not native English) proposturous update failure. To my surprise the Windows-drivers - obviously made by NVIDIA themselves - adviced me to do a driver-update. Since I have nothing to loose anyway I installed that one, so now I had an official NVIDIA-driver installed. I made again a system restore point after a restart, since everything worked fine. Then I installed those pesky updates again and... it worked! Smooth, quick and fast without a hickup. Conclusion: this time Windows' OWN drivers messed up an update. If it wouldn't be so frustrating sad it would be comical. But for that I am not in the mood.

I hope this mega-crash didn't destruct essential system files, and that system restore protected me enough. Because installing AGAIN? no thanks. I do have HD images lying here from today and yesterday, but if it is not really necessary I will not put those back. Since this procedure might introduce a whole boatload of other problems. :-/ Let's keep our fingers crossed. Every update will be an adventure from now one, I am afraid.

Regards,

Ronald.

53 Posts

After some reboots I got a generous offer to do a system recovery. Unfortunately, windows keeps trying to install those updates again and again. Dejavu all over. I am FURIOUS. Is no one from Dell actually checking those forums?

371 Posts

August 18th, 2015 18:00

thx for the update on ur problem / solution.. i tried and research those updates online. not much info coz they are new. but, i seen one guy saying it crashed his system too. and he was mentioning it had something to do with his video drivers. 

like i said, wont be around tomorrow to research it. but maybe by thursday their will be more info abt what is going on. 

thx again

No Events found!