Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

August 5th, 2015 17:00

[Solved] Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

Hello,

I am having this issue after updated the System BIOS, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, Intel Chipset Driver and Intel Management Engine Interface Driver...but I am not sure which one of them cause this issue happen.

All of the indicator and fan is off after the laptop is shutdown, but it won't start up (no response, nothing is running) when I press the power button, so I need to hold the power button for 4 seconds to perform a force shutdown, and after this I am able to start up my laptop normally by pressing the power button again.

I've no idea how to fix this and I don't know whether those update driver I installed is the factor of causing this issue happen. It will be much appreciate if someone can give me a solution...

Thank you

Update - 7 July 2017

Recently performed a Windows 10 clean install on my laptop and this issue happens again. Here's the solution  to solve the problem which was suggested by rockyanexpert on 26 August 2015, Thank you!

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646584?pi43397=3

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647583264332.png

53 Posts

August 18th, 2015 19:00

Take your time... I am just frantically making images. One with True Image 15 and one - to be sure - with The Windows image tool itself. Takes all in all over an hour but I prefer to be prepared for the next update :-/ sleeping, what's that? A real Windows user never sleeps!

53 Posts

August 18th, 2015 23:00

In the end I had to put back a system image I - thank God - made on Monday. This megacrash indeed left some traces in the form of removed settings, missing tools in the system tray, a (once again) broken system restore and who knows what more. I really start to have enough of it all, I am seriously considering to buy a macbook in the not so far away future. And that's not a joke.

Greetings,

Ronald.

17 Posts

August 19th, 2015 06:00

I have noticed VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR will come only when on first load you load nividia drivers first and the  intel video drivers later.

in my dell inspiron 7000 series this happened again and again till I loaded the  intel drivers first and then the NVIDIA dirvers . and now I am updating NVidia drivers and intel individually and all is fine

53 Posts

August 19th, 2015 07:00

Check very carefully if there is damage to system files, in my case some standard system tray-tools went missing. That means probably more was going on so I did a recover from a earlier made image. But this gives me the creeps also, since the Windows 10 imager sometimes disconnects my external USB harddisk during image creation. Yes, trying again solves the issue but I hope those sudden disconnects - which started at the Windows update before yesterdays' one- didn't contaminate my images. I ASSUME the restoretool checks the integrity of the image file first before putting it back. I also Have True Image 15, but I am not sure about the Win 10 compatibility, today they brought out 16 :-/ Windows 10 is risky business for sure :-(((

Greetings,

Ronald.

3 Posts

August 20th, 2015 00:00

hahahahaahaha  LM<ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>O

August 25th, 2015 16:00

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Problem Solved...

5 Posts

August 29th, 2015 06:00

Being struggling with the Inspiron 15 7537 not shut down completely problem since the Win 10 upgrade and drivers update with the Dell official released drivers.

Tried most of the suggestions even the discharging the battery and reconnecting the button backup battery with no avail.

rockyanexpert suggestion works so far for 2 days. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks.

August 29th, 2015 11:00

And one more thing...

Goto Adanced System Settings-Hardware-Device Installation Settings

And Choose-No let me choose.. (disable automatic driver updates)

5 Posts

August 29th, 2015 13:00

You can also download the 

Show or hide update from Microsoft.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab

And hide the Intel Management Engine interface to prevent MS from auto updating the driver until

Intel fix the problem.

5 Posts

August 29th, 2015 15:00

I did uninstalled the Intel rapid storage before and the shut down problem was still there until I downgraded the Intel Management Engine interface.

I do not see the Intel rapid storage driver listed any more.  I'll reinstall it and see what happen.

371 Posts

did u uninstall the intel rapid storage also...

371 Posts

yeah, i had uninstalled the rapid storage, intel security assist and the management engine.. that solved the problem, it could be just the management is the problem.

dont need any of them anyway. for people at home and maybe a small network not needed. and i dont have a Raid drive system, so im good..

17 Posts

August 30th, 2015 02:00

I think you did not read my post up there.

well I have dell 15 7000 series too and other dells . intel management engine interface has to be removed and let windows install 9.5 version and let it sit there. it wont upgrade. nothing else needs to be done  the problem is solved and it doesn't update itself.

For everyone's information. all drivers for win 7sp1 and win 8.1 are fully compatible with  win 10.

another note of caution remove wifi drivers and let windows 10 install it.

in the setting of these drivers packet coalescing should be off and u-pasd should be off too and then see the lan transfer speeds should be fine. the latest intel wifi drives kill the speed.  I guess 7260 is faulty when it comes to working with 2.4 ghz. with 5 ghz the latest driver's work fine

5 Posts

August 30th, 2015 09:00

Reinstalled the Rapid storage, and tested Version 9 and Version 10 of Intel Management Engine Interface.

Both worked with normal shutdown. The culprit is Version 11 of Intel Management Engine Interface. Do not know what is causing the hanging on power down with V11.

53 Posts

August 30th, 2015 12:00

It is not necessary to switch off or hide driver updates. In case of the rapid storage driver Windows uses its own. Rapid storage is useless for the average laptop anyway, since it is an optimized driver for RAID-configurationsl Intel Management is meant for corporate networks, with its help system managers can configure systems remotely over the network. The Management System driver used by Windows itself is a much older proven stable version without problems. Somdont worry and do yourself a pleasure with making it not more complicatd then it already is ;o)

Greetings,

Ronald.

PS Both Dell-drivers have their own bugs and both do have influence on starting up and shutting down. Rapid Storage leads under circumstances to weird starts and the Management drivers for sure to shutdown problems. So to avoid troubles remove both and use the stable Windows-vesions.

No Events found!