Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

August 5th, 2015 17:00

[Solved] Laptop won't shutdown completely in Windows 10

Hello,

I am having this issue after updated the System BIOS, Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, Intel Chipset Driver and Intel Management Engine Interface Driver...but I am not sure which one of them cause this issue happen.

All of the indicator and fan is off after the laptop is shutdown, but it won't start up (no response, nothing is running) when I press the power button, so I need to hold the power button for 4 seconds to perform a force shutdown, and after this I am able to start up my laptop normally by pressing the power button again.

I've no idea how to fix this and I don't know whether those update driver I installed is the factor of causing this issue happen. It will be much appreciate if someone can give me a solution...

Thank you

Update - 7 July 2017

Recently performed a Windows 10 clean install on my laptop and this issue happens again. Here's the solution  to solve the problem which was suggested by rockyanexpert on 26 August 2015, Thank you!

Downgrade Intel Management Engine Interface to v9.5.

Sleep and shutdown problems are due to v11xx. Download MEI from [https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC].

Source: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19646584?pi43397=3

You may also use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647583264332.png

371 Posts

November 19th, 2015 05:00

this for AYRTON_2510 and anyone else having problems with shutting down laptop, it also helps the waking out of sleep problem. i did this after the new Threshold update. (also done after installing win 10 to solve that problem)

go to device manager, u can get there easy by right cicking on start button, the lil windows icon bottom left corner. then click on device manager. (not meaning to treat u like a novice)

scroll down in device manager to "system devices" then click on that and u should see a bunch of stuff.

go to "intel management engine interface" right click then click properties

click driver tab

then click disable

click ok

u dont need the intel management driver or what ever it does

wouldnt hurt to reboot

4 Posts

November 19th, 2015 07:00

For my Inspiron 7537 problem solved after downgrade Intel Management Engine Driver from version 11 to 9.5.

Download older driver from here:

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC

2 Posts

November 21st, 2015 13:00

I have the same problem dell insirion 7547  i have same problem laptop won't shutdown properly 

4 Posts

November 24th, 2015 15:00

Try holding the shift button starting from the time you click on "SHUT DOWN" until the laptop shuts off. 

2 Posts

November 25th, 2015 06:00

I disable Intel management interface it works fine now

December 11th, 2015 00:00

I did try everything suggested, but the Latitude e7450 won't shutdown completely at all and continues to reboot.

What can I do to sort it out this problem ? 

DELL are you aware of this ?

I wonder if Is it possible to download the DELL Windows10 iso file customized for this laptop.

December 11th, 2015 01:00

I did try everything suggested, but the Latitude e7450 won't shutdown completely at all and continues to reboot.

What can I do to sort it out this problem ?

DELL are you aware of this ?

I wonder if Is it possible to download the DELL Windows10 iso file customized for this laptop.

53 Posts

December 11th, 2015 15:00

Hi!

Check if Dell published new Intel Management Drivers for your system, to my surprise they appeared last week for my Inspiron. Didn't install them yet though, if anyone has experience with the december drivers already I'd like to hear... :-)

Greetings,

Ronald.

29 Posts

December 20th, 2015 08:00

Chipset_Driver_3491V_WN32_11.0.0.1173_A01.EX

29 Posts

December 20th, 2015 08:00

Im curious to see if the December driver works as well.  My system is working fine after uninstalling the management engine.  Should I leave well enough alone?  

371 Posts

December 20th, 2015 11:00

yes.. ive tried all the with the new firmware, all the diff ME drivers and always ended up with the same result eventually. usually get stuck in sleep mode. sometimes it worked for a day, but always ended up having to hold power button down. basically a crashed system. who wants to spend the rest of their life always cking whether the fan turned off or not everytime u shut down. seen the other day that MS's new surface pro's have the same problem. so, more involved then just intel and dell's drivers.

53 Posts

December 20th, 2015 15:00

Thanks for the info, thought so already. Microsoft is obviously not able to let Windows 10 work well with certain chipset features. Red about the Surface-debacle after the november update also ;-/ For the rest - if it is in anyone's interest - the original Dell Windows 10 drivers for the ethernet NIC do NOT work stable anymore after the november-upgrade. The only solution is downloading and installing the latest drivers from Realtek itself, those are rock-stable and up to date. It means that Microsoft made it all even more confusing because a Windows 10 driver is certainly not always compatible with Windows 10 after applying a Windows servicepack. It also makes one wonder about what a lifetime license for Windows 10 actually means in reality. I regret it every day I switched to 10, but going back is also useless since the stronger and stronger update-pushes. Guess we all have to grind our teeth for some time to come, unfortunately.

Greetings,

Ronald.

5 Posts

December 20th, 2015 17:00

I wish I would have seen these posts in November.  I started calling Dell Tech Premium Support on 11/3/15 with this same problem.  Since then, way too many wasted hours on a weekly basis on the phone with them, a horrible session where the tech downloaded Windows Repair System, after 1 hour it froze, waited another hour, could not  reconnect with that tech so had to call another one.  They updated the drivers along the way which didn't help.  Finally, arranged for a new motherboard.  It was defective.  The Service tech was here 6 hours.   Had so much difficulty disassembling the laptop, he broke off 2 keys from the keyboard.  New motherboard & keyboard ordered.  6 days later 2nd tech damaged WiFi card while installing new motherboard.  New motherboard did not resolve the problem. This was last Thursday, 12/17/15.  WiFi card and tech not scheduled to arrive here until Tuesday, 12/22/15.  In the meantime, after paying close to $1,000 for that laptop 5 months ago (which included premium support), I am now having to use my Apple device through no fault of my own.  Besides the unreasonable amount of time I have had to spend on resolving this problem, especially at this time of year, I have a video project I was working on that I had hoped to complete before Christmas Eve..  Won't happen.  I need the memory card option and Internet.  I totally agree with DutchOne that it is incredible that NO Dell tech is familiar with this problem.  Incredible and unacceptable   At least now, thanks to you, I will be able to instruct them what to do.  For whatever it's worth, this venting has helped.  Thank you.

29 Posts

December 21st, 2015 16:00

aptpupil5 thats crazy.  I would show them this post and say you want a NEW unhacked up laptop.  

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 11:00

One would think it was just that easy.  After 3 laptops and literally dozens (with an "s") of hours on the phone, one which included a tour of India while I watched my laptop being remotely controlled by a Dell worker in India showing me his country via pictures and at least half a dozen people and their "executive" staff (after I emailed Michael Dell to tell him his product's quality was garbage), the best I could get was a 17" laptop that I did NOT want but got tired of fighting with them losing my order, screwing up my order, sending me non-functional laptops, sending me a non-touch screen when I ordered a touch screen, sending a laptop with no dvd recorder when I specifically said that is what I wanted...it has been nothing but a nightmare.  I used to buy nothing BUT Dell laptops.  I have a Dell notebook that is virtually non-functional and the laptop that is constantly problematic.  I build my own desktops....Looks like I'm going to have to find a way to build my own laptops...too bad most of the parts are proprietary!  My suggestion to EVERYONE is to stop buying Dell products until Mike Dell decides to put QUALITY in front of shareholders for a change!  

No Events found!