Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

September 10th, 2016 06:00

System backup

With my new Inspiron desktop, trying to decide the best way to back up the system (OS, programs, settings etc) just in case there is a harddisk failure. Don't want to go through the hassle in setting up the system and reinstalling programs again.

AA

There is a folder in C drive called RECOVERY by Dell. What is that for?

BB

Win 10 has the FILE HISTORY image backup. Adequate for the job?

CC

Looked at AOMEI and ACRONIS backup software. Appreciate feedback from those who have used either one. For FILE HISTORY image method, there is a CD to startup the PC if the HD fails. For AOMEI or ACRONIS, how to restart the PC if the HD fails with AOMEI and ACRONIS in it?

DD

Any other better simple system backup software?

Many thanks.

29 Posts

September 20th, 2016 01:00

Did a test backing up to my pendrive which worked AOK.

Now tried to back it up using Acronis to My Cloud Mirror.

After selecting WDMyCloudMirror option as the destination and successfully testing the link, I could not specify the destination  folder on My Cloud and NEXT option was grey out (inactive).

Called Dell support and the staff said cannot use Acronis on My Cloud. Annoying. Why? Smartware is not that user friendly. Heard that it is s    l           o            w !

Read somewhere that some people are using Acronis on their MyCloud. Like to know how to fix my problem.

Help!

Thanks.

29 Posts

September 20th, 2016 03:00

Did some reading on the web on my WD+Acronis problem. Found this site ...

kb.acronis.com/.../57992

Followed the instructions, downloaded Apple's Bonjour, restarted PC & WD. Wah-lah, got Acronis to backup to My Cloud. Select external drive rather than NAS which appears higher in the list.

Good to see things coming together on my system backup journey! Ha.

33 Posts

September 27th, 2016 03:00

If you would like to do system image, I would like to suggest you try AOMEI Backupper to back up your system firstly; and is the recovery folder you mean in a single partition? Some system folders can not be deleted within windows tool.

29 Posts

September 30th, 2016 01:00

Thanks.

Managed to do my recovery disc and system backup using Acronis. Also managed to increase the speed from 100 Mbps to 400 Mbps though I have 1000 Mbps router etc. The 400 Mbps was by simply changing the cable 5E with another spare one. Looks like the first 5E is not that good.

Should be getting close to 800 Mbps with the setup. Will see how I can fix later.

One question to all, does Acronis backup also copy the hidden files? I expect it to but ...

No Events found!