Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

September 3rd, 2015 05:00

Unknown device after Windows 10 U[grade 3147

After updating to windows 10, I have an unknown device in the device manager.  I have tried letting Dell system detect upgrade the drivers but it doesn't seem to notice the unknown device.

Any ideas on figuring out which device is unknown? (no additional hardware is connected to the laptop).

Is it possible it is the freefall sensor since I did not add it (the last time I tried to upgrade, it caused some erratic behavior of the touchpad so I reverted back to Windows 8.  When I upgraded again, I didn't download the freefall driver..

37 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 07:00

When I've had this happen, it has turned out to be something internal (not attached hardware), like the sensor you mentioned.

If you google search "how to identify unknown device" or something similar, you'll get many results to choose from on how to identify that device through Device Manager.

A less precise (quicker?) route I've used is visually scan through Device Manager and try to notice what named device is missing. (e.g.: bluetooth, sound device, graphics, etc.). Then you can just search for that devices driver. Again, less precise.

13 Posts

September 4th, 2015 07:00

It would help if you would tell us what section of device manager the error is showing.  

Tom

No Events found!