Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2016 12:00

Webcam in SP2309W monitor crashes WIN 10 Anniversary edition

The webcam in my Dell SP2309W monitor worked just fine with the Aug 2015 version of WIN 10, but after installing the Anniversary upgrade (1607) it crashes the computer to a BSOD. I can only stop this by unplugging the USB connection to the monitor -  and thus losing both webcam and USB hub. I know Dell says (deplorably) that "they don't support WIN 10 with this monitor"  but there was no problem with the original version of WIN10. Does anyone know of updated drivers or other workaround that will restore use of the webcam?

• 

16.7K Posts

November 14th, 2016 05:00

chris88phillips,

Unfortunately, Dell does not have any updated webcam drivers for this monitor. Windows 10 has its own Webcam drivers imbedded.

November 18th, 2016 14:00

I guessed that this was the situation with Dell drivers, and it does seem an omission for a monitor that was on sale until only a few years ago. The original version of WIN 10 worked just fine with the Dell monitor webcam, but the Anniversary edition (1607) clearly must have a new embedded webcam driver that does not play nice with the Dell webcam and gives me the BSOD. Since the WIN 10 Anniversary edition is a 'compulsory' upgrade I've had no choice but disconnect the USB connection to my monitor, thus disabling both the webcam and the USB hub. Surely Dell and Microsoft should get together to resolve this issue?

22 Posts

December 10th, 2016 10:00

boot to safe mode, uninstall and reinstall the generic windows drivers.

i have working webcam and mic in Annv Ed with this monitor, altho it was a huge pain figure out.  also once booted in normal mode, u gotta give it a few minutes before using the cam/mic.

more info:

arstechnica.com/.../

community.skype.com/.../4543462

i was having BSOD issues with ks.sys and it was all due to the monitor.  i couldn't even update to Annv Ed at first, and got caught in a BSOD loop.

No Events found!