Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2017 15:00

Windows 10 1709 update failing to install on Alienware 17 R3

I manage to get to the point where it installs and restarts the computer but then after the restart it goes to a blue screen and resets to a previous build of windows. Per review of several articles this should be compatible with my computer and am not sure of the issue. The error I am getting is

IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Anyone else having this problem?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 28th, 2017 03:00

Generally, the IQRL error is a memory problem.  

Here is one explanation doing a search for that error:

"This Stop message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory address to which it did not have permission to access"

Which in your case is the upgrade detected an error and fell back.

Have you tried the upgrade more than once?  

FWIW, I'm having a similar problem on a Toshiba laptop.  It gets to the "Preparing to install updates" but then aborts and then starts over.  Haven't figured out what is wrong yet.

3 Posts

December 28th, 2017 18:00

I have tried several times, actually factory reset thinking that maybe something I had installed had caused the issue, and still have had no success in finding a fix.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 29th, 2017 03:00

I assume you are trying the upgrade from the Windows update function.   Getting the update direct from Microsoft and creating an upgrade flash drive or DVD with the Media Creation tool may work.

Here is the procedure from Microsoft for the Media Creation Tool.

www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 29th, 2017 05:00

It could very well likely be that the 1709 update does not work.

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2018 03:00

I did the Microsoft Media Creation Tool on a USB and got it installed. However now when I turn on my computer it flashes the home screen for a second before the blue screen with either the stop code I originally had or KERNEL_FAILED_SECURITY_CHECK

1 Message

January 11th, 2018 19:00

I was having this problem for weeks.  I finally figured it out.  Uninstall Killer Network Manager.

They have a new one that replaces Killer Network Manager and Killer Network Drivers with Killer Performance Driver Suite if you want to reinstall.

Good luck!

January 18th, 2018 14:00

Hello KoryB,

As SplashAttack indicated, this particular error is one that has, in the past, pointed to the Killer Control Center and Killer Network Manager. Current versions of the suite do not have this issue. If you are still encountering this problem, I would suggest updating to the latest suite available from our site, and then attempting the Windows update.

We suggest you download the latest Killer Control Center, found here - http://www.killernetworking.com/driver-downloads/item/killer-control-center-x64

Keep in mind that the Killer Control Center contains our latest drivers, and supersedes the Killer Network Manager that you might find pre-installed on your machine from the manufacturer. 

Once you have the latest Killer Control Center handy, please follow these steps: 

Note: It is important to be aware that, when troubleshooting, you should always shut down your computer by clicking the Start button in the lower left-hand corner, clicking the Power symbol, and clicking Shut Down. You should always reset or reboot your computer by doing the same, but clicking Restart, instead. The power button on most laptops, and some desktops, is not configured to shut the machine down, but rather to sleep the machine. Sleeping the machine does not accomplish the same thing as shutting it down or restarting it. 

• Uninstall any Killer Performance Suite and Killer Drivers entries in your Apps & Features menu
  • Restart your machine
  • Run the installer package that you just downloaded
  • Restart your machine once more

You should now have the latest drivers, and the latest Performance Suite installed. 

If you require any further assistance with any Killer products, please feel free to reach out to us directly at killersupport@rivetnetworks.com

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

1 Message

February 4th, 2018 09:00

Thanks so much for this suggestion!  After weeks of frustration and inability to use my Windows Mixed Reality HMD your suggestion to uninstall the Killer drivers and install the new ones solved the update failure and now I'm free and clear to use it to help my patients.

Thank goodness for these support communities!

April 15th, 2018 09:00

This worked amazingly!!  This issue had been happening to me for the past two or three months.  How in the heck did you figure this out?  Well, anyway thanks for helping solve my issue!

April 15th, 2018 09:00

Thanks for the walkthrough, this helped immensely!

No Events found!