Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AP

11 Posts

January 13th, 2021 00:00

Windows 10 OEM License blocked by company installing proprietary Win 10 image?

I purchased a second hand Dell Precision M7510 which was delivered with Windows 10.
It is transferred to me on the Dell homepage.

It appears that it had a "corporate Windows 10 image" - but clean.
It is no longer activated and it cannot access the company activation server.

I managed to extract a Windows 10 license key from the running system using BelArc Advisor.

I tried the Dell OS reinstalling S/W, creating a USB stick using the "current machine".
When I reinstall, I can install with a license key, and without a license key.

If I install with a license key, I will get the same error message - cannot access the company activation server.
If I install without a license key, it complains that the license is not valid.

Calling Dell, they said that a company can block an OEM license from being activated.

Anyone has additional information on this, and how to get a proper Windows 10 activated?

Best Regards
Ulf

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 13th, 2021 15:00

If the system has a Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 10 Pro OEM License then it will be automatically input by retail Windows 10 installation media and you will be taken straight to the license agreement screen. 

If the system does not have a Windows 10 Pro or 8.1 Pro OEM License, you will be asked for a Product Key. Some of these systems had a Windows 7 Pro OEM License and hence may have a COA. If you can find the COA you can input the 25 digit product key during installation.

Otherwise the only option to recover the OEM License will be to use a Dell Windows 7 Pro Skylake ISO which will automatically apply Dell OEM Activation. You can perform an upgrade install from this install or generate a genuine ticket on it for use with a clean Windows 10 Pro Install.

No Events found!