Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 5th, 2018 10:00

Windows 10's Microsoft Store broken for domain user accounts

I work for a small business which only orders a handful of laptops (always Precision) a year, and always with OEM Windows 10 Pro licenses.  

The last three Precision 7520's, which have been delivered over the last 6 weeks or so, have all exhibited the same symptoms with domain accounts using the Windows 10 Microsoft Store.  I'll outline my entire workflow below.  

• I pull the laptop out of the box with the preinstalled OS
  • Create a local account during setup, which Windows adds to the local administrators group
    • When logging in under this account, the Microsoft Store seems to work properly
  • Join the system to our domain
  • Log off / Log back on under a domain administrator account
    • When logging in under this account, the Microsoft Store seems to work properly
  • Log off / Log back on as a standard domain user (the user who will ultimately own the laptop)
    • It's important to point out that when logging in as this user, the Windows Welcome screen stays up for about 15 minutes while the local user profile is building.  It even goes as far as to state that it's taking longer than expected.
    • When logging in under this account, the Microsoft Store does NOT work at all.  Neither the store itself nor any of the preinstalled modern/metro apps will launch.  The modern icons do appear on the start menu, but clicking on them usually just turns them black.

I've investigated the App Store issue in depth and I've tried numerous workarounds that I've encountered on various websites, such as:

• re-registering the Windows Apps themselves via powershell,
  • wreset.exe
  • resetting the Windows Store app via settings / apps
  • dism
  • setting the proper owner and permissions on c:\program files\windowsapps

Unfortunately, none of these has been able to activate the Microsoft Store or any of its preinstalled apps for the affected domain user.

Completely resetting the OS from within windows and then going through the entire process of building the user's profile worked one time, but did not work the second two times.  Either way, this is something that I'd like to avoid as it is a very time consuming process.

After observing the same behavior when using Dell's preinstalled OS on the two newest systems, I simply reinstalled Windows 10 Professional from Microsoft's Windows 10 image (created from MediaCreationTool) on them, and everything has worked flawlessly as outlined below.

• Install a fresh copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft's image
  • Create a local account during setup, which Windows adds to the local administrators group
  • Join the system to our domain
  • Log off / Log back on under a domain administrator account
  • Log off / Log back on as a standard domain user (the user who will ultimately own the laptop)
    • It's important to point out that when logging in as this user, the Windows Welcome disappears almost instantaneously and the user's desktop is displayed.  
    • When logging in under this account, the Microsoft Store works properly, as do the preinstalled Metro Apps.  

With all of that in mind, it seems like there might be some issues with Dell's most recent Windows 10 image, or perhaps with my workflow.  Has anyone else observed similar behaviour?  If so, can you provide any additional insight as to what exactly is going wrong and how I might go about fixing it quickly?

April 20th, 2018 16:00

This appears to be the same issue being discussed and looked into by Dell engineering in this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex/OptiPlex-7050-Windows-10-Black-Screen-with-Mouse-Cursor-after/td-p/6033225

The "black screen" issue is related to the App Readiness service. If you disable that service it fixes the black screen issue but then causes lots of issues with Windows 10 "Apps" and the Microsoft/Windows Store...so it appears this is just all one big issue with Dell's OEM Windows 10 image.

Yes -- you can just install Windows 10 from Microsoft's Media Creation Tool without a key. It will pull the key from the BIOS and activate. We are doing this to all new Dell machines until Dell (hopefully) releases a fix. Or, maybe once they start shipping with 1803 it won't be an issue.

1 Message

June 18th, 2019 12:00

I just encountered this issue and the following fixed it

Part 1: Remove work/school account 

1. Push the Windows key to open the Start menu and click the Settings gear icon on the left side
  2. Navigate to Accounts > Access work or school
  3. Click your account name (ex. myname@university.edu)
  4. Select Disconnect and click Yes
  5. Account will be removed from the list and all apps

Part 2: Windows Store Reset

1. Close all Windows Store windows that are currently open.
  2. Push the Windows key to open the Start menu and type wsreset
  3. Right click and select Run as Administrator
  4. Windows Store should automatically re-open and should display as normal.
  5. You may now login to Microsoft Store with other credentials 
    • Note: In one of two computers I had to repeat Part 2 but it's all working flawlessly now.

1 Message

April 2nd, 2021 03:00

A quicker solutions, make the user local administrator. Login as the user, open powershell as administrator

get-appxpackage *WindowsStore* | remove-appxpackage

Get-AppXPackage *WindowsStore* -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Launch microsoft store

In the end remove local administrator right from user 

3 Posts

April 9th, 2018 08:00

I've been experiencing exactly the same problem. 

Newly delivered Vostro 5471 with Windows Pro pre-installed.  Connected to the domain, and none of the Windows Store apps was accessible to Domain user.  I downloaded the Media Creator, built USB drive, completely nuked the partitioning on the Vostro, installed Windows, downloaded Systems Manager to get it re-install all the drivers, then connected back to the domain.  All good for all domain users now.

8 Posts

April 18th, 2018 07:00

I have this exact same problem on 3 new Tiny Optiplex PCs. All the user profiles have no Metro Apps working and I can't open the Start Menu on One.

I tried the OEM fix from Microsoft Here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043292/windows-10-black-screen-when-restarts-after-windows-update-oem-factory

This did NOT work for me at all.

I will download the Microsoft Media Tool directly from Microsoft.

One Question:?

Will the OEM Serial number in the BIOS already be applied to the Microsoft Media ? Or do I need to find the Windows OEM key first?

Thanks

April 19th, 2018 09:00

Scott,

In my case, the Microsoft Windows 10 image has installed properly on each of the affected systems without my having to provide a product key.  I assume that it's able to use the key which is baked into the firmware.

-rs

April 23rd, 2018 07:00

Thanks, rrosati.  I suspect that you're correct.  On one of my recent problematic Dell systems, I also experienced the "black screen with cursor" issue after one of the many reboots while trying to fix its issues with the Microsoft Store.  In an attempt to keep the original post as brief as possible, I just left that part out.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 26th, 2018 03:00

Hi, 

This issue is being and updated on the following thread - https://www.dell.com/community/Optiplex/OptiPlex-7050-Windows-10-Black-Screen-with-Mouse-Cursor-after/td-p/6033225/highlight/false/page/5

This is the fix that has been suggested.

Our engineers are working on this to develop a resolution. Over the last week we have had multiple instances of the fix being applied successfully and resolving the issue. Subsequent follow ups a few days later have confirmed the black screen has not returned. At present there are three options available to resolve the issue

1. Try the fix below, I have reworded one command statement as I believe it may have been causing the fix to not execute correctly
2. Reinstall the OS using the Dell recovery media from the support site, not the recovery partition
3. Reinstall the OS using the Microsoft Windows 10 image

Here is the latest revision of the steps to apply the fix. It is imperative that all steps are followed correctly

1. Disable the App Readiness Service (wsappx)
In the run box type msconfig. Go to the services tab and disable App Readiness (uncheck all except App Readiness and then tap the disable button)
2. Restart the machine
3. Open an elevated powershell (Windows Key + X)
In the taskbar type powershell. Right click on it and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt
4. Type the following command - Get-AppxPackage *office* | Remove-AppxPackage and hit enter
5. Renable the App Readiness Service as per step 1
6. Restart the machine
Once this is completed, the Office hub will be “blank” (the tiles in start menu) and they can be unpinned from the Start Menu.

Ultimately, if the fix fails to resolve the issue, the operating system needs to be reinstalled using the Dell recovery media or via Microsoft's Windows 10 installer. Reinstalling from the recovery partition will fail to resolve this as the issue is with the factory image.

Alan

2 Posts

April 26th, 2018 08:00

I've been working with MS on this issue. Today the engineer had a KB that fixed the problem. Hopefully it works for everyone else too!

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4093105 

-Jon

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 27th, 2018 02:00

Hi all, 

Microsoft have released an update that should resolve the issue with the conflicting app installers and the black screen. More info can be found here

Here is the link to the available downloads for multiple platforms - 

I look forward to hearing if this resolves the issues.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 27th, 2018 02:00

@Paradigm-wrote:

I've been working with MS on this issue. Today the engineer had a KB that fixed the problem. Hopefully it works for everyone else too!

-Jon

Hi Jon, 

Thanks for that link, I shall compose a response to both threads suggesting the link.

Alan

8 Posts

April 27th, 2018 11:00

This indeed is the Fix!

Simply log into a Local Admin profile on the PC. Download and install the update from the link above.

Restart and log back into the Users Domain profile. The Store and All apps will repair themselves and auto update.

Had 3 PCs with this issue and all are working correctly.

For new Dell PCs , simply run Auto-update until all the updates are applied. Then join to the Domain.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 30th, 2018 00:00

@ScottMcDwrote:

This indeed is the Fix!

Simply log into a Local Admin profile on the PC. Download and install the update from the link above.

Restart and log back into the Users Domain profile. The Store and All apps will repair themselves and auto update.

Had 3 PCs with this issue and all are working correctly.

For new Dell PCs , simply run Auto-update until all the updates are applied. Then join to the Domain.

Hi Scott, 

Thanks for confirming the fix works and the steps you have taken. Hopefully the others affected will confirm the same.

Alan

April 30th, 2018 07:00

Thanks AlanD.  This seems promising for future instances.  I'm unable to confirm that it works on my affected systems since I already invested the time to fix them by installing a clean copy of Windows from Microsoft's image.  If I should ever observe it again, I'll attempt the cumulative update which you cited.  I'm hopeful that it'll save time.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 1st, 2018 01:00

@Ralph Sanchezwrote:

Thanks AlanD.  This seems promising for future instances.  I'm unable to confirm that it works on my affected systems since I already invested the time to fix them by installing a clean copy of Windows from Microsoft's image.  If I should ever observe it again, I'll attempt the cumulative update which you cited.  I'm hopeful that it'll save time.

Hi Ralph, 

Thanks for the update. Should you have any further issues you know where to find us.

Alan

No Events found!