Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 18th, 2016 15:00

XPS 13 9360 -- 1.2.3 BIOS results in 'no boot device found'

Dell XPS 13 9360, previously running dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS. After upgrading to 1.2.3 BIOS, the laptop fails to boot. I receive a BIOS message 'No boot device found'. This is using AHCI for the drive configuration.

If I change the drive configuration to RAID instead (and nothing else), I receive the error 'Inaccessible boot device' from Windows 10 -- which isn't hugely surprising as it's configured for AHCI and doesn't have the intel RST driver installed.

I've tried downgrading the BIOS to 1.0.7 but received a message 'Incompatible downgrade'.

Any ideas as to why it can "see" the boot device in RAID mode, but not in AHCI?

6 Posts

January 5th, 2017 04:00

Hi Justin,

My laptop (9360 with OEM 256GB Toshiba SSD, plus Samsung 960PRO 1TB bought separately) is available for you if it can be picked up in France. I'll keep my 9343 in the meantime.

Jeremy.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

January 5th, 2017 13:00

Thank you Jvinant. I've sent you a friend request. Looking forward to working with you.

13 Posts

January 5th, 2017 23:00

I encountered similar problem when i clean install windows 10, with the original ssd drive from factory.  It did not recognize the SSD and asked me to install a driver.  I extracted (not auto install) the Intel RST driver to a USB, and when it asked to load a driver, i open up the RST folder and chose from there.  The SSD was finally recognize and everything went back to normal.

January 6th, 2017 03:00

Hi Justin,

This is a related issue which Jvinant raised, which is poor SSD performance with the 9360.

I have a Dell 9360 running Windows 10, with all the latest drivers and the OEM 256 drive.

For some intensive disk operations, the SSD performance seems to be very poor.

For example, performing a database restore using SQL Server of a 5GB database takes around 3 minutes. On my much older laptop, with an older SSD, it took around 30s.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Henry

1 Message

January 6th, 2017 14:00

I had a new XPS 13 9360 last week. It had BIOS 1.0.7 on it and worked fine (except for an iffy right side USB port).

I upgraded to BIOS 1.2.3 and got the no boot device problem.

My machine was configured in AHCI mode but it seems BIOS 1.2.3 does not work in AHCI mode. Changing to RAID mode would not work, I suspect due to lack of RAID drivers.

As I could not revert to BIOS 1.0.7, my machine was effectively bricked so Dell had to replace the motherboard.

Repaired machine is now working in AHCI mode with BIOS 1.0.7.

I am now in a position where I cannot use the latest BIOS version or risk updating to any future versions. Would like to use BIOS 1.2.3 because this allegedly fixes the strange right side USB behaviour.

3 Posts

January 6th, 2017 16:00

I am using Linux. Is it a problem with Windows at all?

I can boot with Raid enabled, but Linux fails, of course.

6 Posts

January 7th, 2017 07:00

Wanted to weigh in on this issue. I was able to reproduce the problem with a Samsung 960 EVO SSD.

Hardware involved:

XPS 9360 i5-7200U, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, FHD Screen

Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2 2280 SSD

Here are the steps I took to be able to reproduce the problem:

1) With stock SSD and Windows 10 installation, upgrade to BIOS 1.2.3

2) Replace stock SSD with brand new 960 EVO SSD

3) Change BIOS settings

a) Turn off secure boot

b) Change SATA operation from RAID on to AHCI

4) Live boot either Ubuntu or Fedora from a USB drive

5) Complete installation of Linux onto the 960 EVO SSD

6) Reboot into the installation and get and get either a boot into SupportAssistant or an error screen claiming that there are no bootable devices found.

I thought that the issue was on my end until seeing these forums posts. I thought it was strange that the live installation of Linux sees the SSD, but the computer cannot boot from it. I even made sure the UEFI settings were correct on the Linux installs.

Really hoping this issue gets resolved soon because right now I have a non-working computer that I'd really like to install Linux on.

6 Posts

January 7th, 2017 11:00

Problem has not been fixed. I'm thinking it will require a new version of the BIOS. Latest version is still 1.2.3.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 7th, 2017 11:00

The thread is going quiet... does that mean the problem has been repaired?

It is confusing, even to owners of this system, when you have the possibility of two different M.2 drive types.  If you have a SATA version, the AHCI comments may be relevant but if you have the PCIe version they are not.

Has anyone tried updating the firmware on their drives?

Has anyone tried booting to an external drive, such as Recovery drive or install media?

Have there been any discussions about a new bios?  Since PCIe drivers are in the bios it is relevant.  I suppose SATA drivers are also effected but has it even been determined if only systems with PCIe drives are being effected.

Sorry to be a bother.... just interested.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 7th, 2017 14:00

It is too bad it hasn't been fixed yet, but you have done the firmware updates for your drive?  I suppose you have the M.2 PCIe version?

In the post from reverov by turning off Secure Boot, the possibility of a Legacy install was introduced because Linux will install as Legacy on a GPT configured drive.  But other than that, I don't think Linux is involved in this situation.

If the system was using a SATA drive, since the RAID controller has AHCI, the bootable drive should still have been found.

If the situation is a Bios bug, then nothing any of you can do will help, unless the firmware update for the drive might help.

Another thing which confuses this thread is I have seen hundreds of folks in other forums seeing "No Boot Device" or "Boot Configuration Data is missing or corrupted".   So, there may be more than one thing involved.

If I had one of those systems, and I am not recommending anyone do this, I would remove the PCIe drive and reboot the system a couple of times.  Then replace the drive to see if it would be recognized again.  There may be some confusion with the driver in the Bios firmware.

6 Posts

January 7th, 2017 15:00

I have not done the firmware updates for my drive. I suppose I could install Windows to do that. Yes, I have the M.2 NVMe drive. It's not necessarily a Linux problem, I think it has to do with trying to boot a 960 drive with AHCI mode enabled. I think the only people that have a reason to switch from RAID to AHCI are the ones installing an OS besides Windows, the most popular alternative OS being Linux in this situation. I can try to do the rebooting like you suggested, but I'm pretty sure it will not do anything.

The reason I believe the fault is in the BIOS is because many people who had Linux pre-installed with version 1.0.7 (and therefore had AHCI enabled) of the BIOS had no issue, and were only unable to boot from their drives after version 1.2.3 of the BIOS was installed.

1 Message

January 8th, 2017 11:00

Hi Justin,

I'm having the same issue reported in this thread. I purchased an XPS 13 Developer Edition (i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, FHD). I then installed a clean copy of Windows 10 on a Samsung 960 EVO 1TB SSD using AHCI.

Everything worked fine in BIOS 1.0.7, but as soon as I updated the BIOS to 1.2.3, the laptop would no longer boot to my SSD. I can still boot to Ubuntu on a flash drive, and can see the 1TB disk from within Ubuntu.

Hopefully Dell can update the BIOS soon! Would be great to finally get to start using my XPS 13 a month and a half after purchasing it :)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 8th, 2017 15:00

If you have the real install media you might try booting to it in UEFI mode and going to the page where you set up partitions and then see if the drive is visible.  If the install media is on a DVD make sure and have the DVD in the drive prior to booting.

I don't really understand the comment about installing using AHCI except that the Bios setting may have been AHCI, which does not normally control a PCIe drive.

4 Posts

January 9th, 2017 00:00

My XPS13 9360 encountered the same problem after  I upgraded the bios version to 1.2.3. I'm using a Sk-hynix PC300 512G ssd, which worked fine when the system bios is 1.0.7. I'm disappointed that after  so many complaints DELL still not being able to give us a solution.

I also tried downgrade the bios version, and I also failed everytime I tried.

I'm now using the OEM drive Samsung cm871a, which works perfectly with 1.2.3 because it's a M.2 SATA ssd.

Waiting for the next update of system bios!

6 Posts

January 11th, 2017 00:00

Same thing just happened to me.

Completely stock hardware, I didn't touch anything at all (Dell XPS 13 9360 Developer Edition with 16GB RAM and stock 512GB NVMe). First day of use. Working fine with 1.0.7, and after upgrading to 1.2.3, I can't boot anymore.

Note that this is the Ubuntu version, and I'm not trying to dual boot or anything at all.

I just upgraded the BIOS without changing anything: all default options and stock hardware.

No Events found!