Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2015 09:00

can not create recovery disk error on Inspiron 15 5000 with Windows 10

I just got Inspiron 15 5000 with Windows 10 and tried to create recovery disk, and got an error message saying "can not create recovery disk" after it tried to initialize for a while.   I waited over night thinking it might be running update and tried this morning, but still no change.

4 Posts

September 10th, 2015 12:00

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 5558 with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I have the same problem and my USB drives are working without any error. I have tried all 3 USB ports on my PC and I get the same error message. Is this a Windows 10 issue with the Recovery Media Creator Tool?

4 Posts

September 10th, 2015 13:00

I experienced the same problem. I searched for another way and discovered that it is possible to create Windows 10 installation media on a USB drive. Go to www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

3 Posts

September 10th, 2015 21:00

I do have Inspiron 15 7000 Series 4K display. I have no problem to do with Dell backup and recovery with Lexar USB Flash Drive 32GB. I have no trouble at all.  I

I m only backup with Windows 10 Upgrade.  

September 11th, 2015 14:00

I bought a Lexar 32gb but continue to have the problem.  I finally figured out what is going on. In the recovery folder on my Dell, there are numerous files, some of which (e.g. "apps") are over 4 gb in size for a single file. When the "Create a recovery drive" utility runs,  its very first step is to reformat the USB drive, wiping out all files on it. It reformats the drive using FAT32, not NTFS. FAT32 is a very old standard, which has the limitation that it cannot recognize a file over 4 gb in size. Therefore,  when the drive creation process reaches a point where it is trying to copy one of those huge files to the thumb drive, it fails.

This seems like a Microsoft problem, not a Dell problem. The utility should format the thumb drive using NTFS, not FAT32.

Some people don't have the problem because they don't happen to have recovery files over 4 gb in size.

3 Posts

September 11th, 2015 19:00

I have been backup with USB flash drive 32 Gb, I have huge size than 7 gb size for Windows 10. I usually have dual boot Linux OS and Windows 10. In Linux "Qparted" partition tool format on USB 32GB eventually with my portable hard drive 250 gb too.

In Windows 10 will not format 250 GB FAT32 but Linux can do format in any sizes. I can see that Linux is the best partition tool in any kind of type formats.

I have been success in two types is usb flash and portable hard drive

2 Posts

September 16th, 2015 07:00

I just bought a new Inspiron 15 5558 with Windows 10 pre-installed.  It is impossible to create the USB recovery drive, even if it is available in the Start menu !!  The girl at Dell tells me that the option is not included in Windows 10 pre-installed...  She is going to send me a link to a site that allows to create a recovery drive on DVDs, probably a dozen of these...  We'll see if this is the only option.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2015 08:00

The link to the Microsoft website is for Windows 8.1, but the create usb drive worked with Windows 10 !!  It took about 1/2 hour, and the size on the usb drive is about 3.5 GB.  I didn't test it yet.

8 Posts

September 16th, 2015 19:00

That's not the recovery drive route.  That's an media creation disk, or whatever it's called.  Different thing.

4 Posts

September 17th, 2015 06:00

True. It only allows you to reinstall Windows 10. It could be useful if the hard drive fails and it needs  a replacement. A recovery USB drive would be much better because it allows you to reinstall the factory installed version of Windows 10 which includes the Dell software and drivers. It will also install other software like McAfee that come preinstalled.

I contacted Dell again about the error with creating a recovery drive but they were unhelpful. They do not seem to care about their customers.

4 Posts

October 2nd, 2015 13:00

I own a computer repair company in Florida and have seen this exact issue with every Dell Windows 10 computer since the release.  I called Dell after reading this forum. 1-800-624-9896 and insisted on speaking to a supervisor without offering a service tag. (Forcefully)

Dell is aware of the problem.  I told the supervisor that I have experienced this with over 8 systems, two of which are here now.  I told her about this forum and she immediately offered to send a recovery drive for each unit.  She also mentioned a site to request free recovery media on in-warranty systems so I do not have to spend 30 minutes each time.

www.dell.com/recoverymedia

So, moving forward, I will do this for each Dell system as they do not seem to be working on a fix.  The Dell tech posting on this site is uninformed or a liar.

1 Message

October 6th, 2015 07:00

Thanks for this. The problem for me is that they send the originally installed OS and since purchase I have since upgraded all my machines to Windows 10

October 9th, 2015 10:00

New Inspiron 15 (5558) with Win 10 pre-installed arrived a few days ago.

Same problem as everybody else.

Time to send the device back?

October 9th, 2015 11:00

Did you ever get a solution?

Because I'm in the same situation and I haven't seen a solution.

4 Posts

October 10th, 2015 06:00

Tornitons,

Did the site work?  If so, please share.

4 Posts

October 10th, 2015 06:00

The solution is to call Dell, ask for a supervisor. read the error message and request the recovery media be sent.  The website I was informed of to request recovery media does not work for the 3000 series.  A message appears informing you to call Dell for this model number.

No Events found!