5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 12th, 2022 02:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell XPS 15 7590; Windows 11 22H2; problems when secure boot is enabled

XPS 15 7590

XPS 15 7590

Hello.  I recently updated my Dell XPS 15 7590 from Windows 11 to version 22H2.  After 3 failed attempts where the software downloads and installs, but it did not get past the bootup screen on restart (i.e. the Dell logo in white on a black background).  It automatically uninstalls the upgrade and restarts Windows.  I read a forum that said try disabling the Secure Boot, which I did - and it worked! However, now if I go back into the Bios to enable the Secure Boot again, I get a blue screen with stop code: inaccessible boot device.  If I disable the secure boot, everything is fine! 

Does anyone have advice on how to successfully resolve this?   I want to enable the secure boot without running into an error with the newly updated Windows 11 22H2. 

thank you! 

1 Message

February 20th, 2023 17:00

After updating BIOS to v1.20, I have found two options to update to 22H2 successfully. Either one can be used.

• Disable Secure Boot in the BIOS
  • Disable the Direct I/O Virtualization setting in the BIOS

I have been able to boot 22H2 in either configuration.

I can't believe Dell hasn't completely fixed this yet. I spent way too much time debugging. So much lost time at work.

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2023 18:00

It was like this before v1.20.

12 Posts

February 22nd, 2023 22:00

I have successfully installed 22H2.  I disabled Bitlocker anyway after more hardware problems.  I disabled secure boot, and have installed 22H2 with no further issues.  Importantly Hyper-V still works.

February 26th, 2023 16:00

Has been linked before but even it is marked as solved, it is not solved.
One person found a workaround which works for him and marked it as solved.
The issue itself is still open.

12 Posts

February 28th, 2023 05:00

In case anybody is wondering, the Windows patch relating to KB5012170 Secure Boot DBX does NOT fix the issue.

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2023 18:00

I am having the BSOD issue whenever I attempt to use virtualization features.  I want to run LocalStack on my 7590.  A prerequisite is docker.  A prerequisite for docker is having Virtualization and WSL enabled from the Apps Features in the Control panel.  You must do a restart when these two items are enabled.  I get the infamous "Cannot Read from Boot Device."  Enabling virtualization (the BIOS settings are set correctly) within Windows does something that is not recoverable and I must go to a restore point with the help of the Dell Support Software.

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2023 23:00

This is the exact issue I am having as well. You can get Docker and WSL to work, as long as you disable the setting "VT for Direct I/O" (if that is something you can live with).

33 Posts

March 3rd, 2023 00:00

@DonC007 As a 007 I guess you have (not) read the full threat.

Please do so and you have all info including some workarounds. Beside turning off "VT for Direct I/O" you can also choose the disable "Secure Boot" as a work arround.

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2023 10:00

Yes, Thank you.  I disabled VT for Direct I/O and now have been able to load everything including LocalStack.  Too bad that we have to lower the security barrier to get there.

March 6th, 2023 09:00

Hello! I'm having the same issue as yours. Dell XPS15 7590 i7. I tried to update to W11 almost 7/8 times, but for every single attempt the system crashes during the installation (at 30-40% progress) and after two or three reboot attempts the automatic recovery system rollback to W10.

I also tried to disable the secure boot option, but the only result was an infinite loop of reboot when, at every boot, the system asked me to enter the recovery code wich, however, had no effects to the procedure. 

I have already updated the bios firmware, 1.20 released on February 23, but the update still crashes during installation. 

By the way, my report to dell was completely ignored

March 6th, 2023 10:00

You need to disable VT for Direct I/O in VM settings in BIOS. This should make the machine bootable.
At the moment there is no solution for this issue, just this workaround.

106 Posts

March 7th, 2023 00:00

Hi

If you are not aware this issue is also being discussed here:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-7590-Memory-Integrity-on-causes-an-inaccessible-boot/td-p/8273941/page/18

It would be useful if you could Upvote on the Windows 11 Feedback Hub in the hope it will create traction there:

https://aka.ms/AAi6cfv

It is important to note that the thread/issue has NOT been resolved as many have pointed out.

I have the latest bios and I was able to upgrade using the work around as follows

With the latest Dell Bios installed Ver 1.20.0

Bios Settings:

Secure Boot - OFF/ DISABLED

Virtualization settings (VT for Direct IO & Enable Intel Virtualization) -  ENABLED/ON both settings

Bitlocker - Disabled/OFF

Now, the upgrade to the latest version of 22H2 should complete successfully without errors

Once complete, BItlocker can be enabled again

Hyper V will also function without a problem

Unfortunately this work around means that the Secure Boot must remain DISABLED/OFF from this point onwards, enabling it creates the BSOD

So you must consider the risks of not having the secure boot enabled until a solution is provided 

Regards,

M

March 7th, 2023 07:00

Thank you for your testimony too, I'm everyday more astonished by Dell behaviour on this issue. Combined , the related two threads on this forum have almost 50 THOUSANDS views, and still no real action from Dell.  It sadly reminds me of the battery issue that didn't get fixed also. 

All this is so dissappointing.

1 Message

March 7th, 2023 07:00

We have an XPS 7590 that was running Windows 11 21H2 with secure boot enabled and no issues. The Win 11 22H2 update was never offered to this computer, no matter what I tried. I figured there was a problem with Windows Update so I manually installed 22H2 using the Upgrade Assistant, which eventually led to this blue screen. Blue screen is only remedied by disabling Secure Boot. So it seems with Win 11 21H2 runs fine, but 22H2 has the problem. Microsoft has blocked the update via Windows Update until the issue is resolved. I'm guessing that the only people who come across this problem are those who manually install Win 11 22H2. The blocked update shows an awareness to the issue and gives me hope that they are working to resolve it. 

No Events found!