Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

4 Posts

February 25th, 2023 14:00

How to transfer apps from old machine Windows 10 harddrive to new machine with SSD W 11?

Have old XPS desktop with W-10 and new Inspiron desktop with W-11 is on its way.  Have files/data backups on external drive and thumb drive, and have full image backups by W-10 on external drive.  Want to transfer several old programs (Office Pro, Turbotax, Quicken and others) for which I have install CDs but that would not transfer updates, and doubt updates are available for old programs.  If I use Windows Backup/Restore using W-11 on  the new machine using the image file on the external drive (created from W-10) would that overwrite my new W-11 on the new machine?

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

March 4th, 2023 06:00

If you created an Image of a system that has Windows 10 and restore to the new system, it will overwrite Windows 11 and replace it with the Windows 10 image. This MS web page explains how to move pictures, documents, etc. As for the programs you mentioned, you would have to reinstall them on the new system.

4 Posts

March 4th, 2023 13:00

Thank you for your answer, just as I suspected.  So I didn't use the image backup and instead transfered data using external drive and reinstalled programs.  I do have one additional question about this, deciding whether I can delete image backups.  I'm uncertain what how the Windows backups are structured.  Looking on my external drive, I have a number of dated "backup set" folders, each of which contains a number of "backup files" folders, and each of those contain up to 20 or more "backup files" zip folders which themselves contain more folders of files.  Seems like an endless tree.

Does 1 "backup set" contain everything from 1 dated backup of the entire image?  Can I delete some of the prior dated backup sets?  Each backup set contains >100GB data.

No Events found!