Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 7th, 2015 19:00

Dell Backup and Recovery USB drive

I recently purchased a XPS 8700 and running Win 7 Pro with service pack 1.  I was going about creating a recovery/back up disk only to find out you can't actually create disk and it has to be done via USB flash drive or in my case, an external HD.  I didn't care to have my external HD partitioned when I thought I was going about creating the recover "disk".  Is there any way to redo that on a USB flash drive now?  

Thanks in advance!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 8th, 2015 07:00

I recently purchased a XPS 8700 and running Win 7 Pro with service pack 1.  I was going about creating a recovery/back up disk only to find out you can't actually create disk and it has to be done via USB flash drive or in my case, an external HD.  I didn't care to have my external HD partitioned when I thought I was going about creating the recover "disk".  Is there any way to redo that on a USB flash drive now?  

Thanks in advance!

See here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery-1-8-1-71/

Instructions are for Windows 8.1 but for creating the media are more or less identical for Windows 7.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 12th, 2015 20:00

There are multiple partitions on the hard disk of a laptop including the system partition, System reserved partition, data partitions and for some manufacturers such as Lenovo, they even create a OneKey recovery partition on their products. To backup such many partitions one by one is really troublesome. In this case, you could just make a backup image for the entire hard disk instead of backing up all the partitions on that disk.see more

www.backup-utility.com/disk-backup-software.html

No Events found!