Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 11th, 2012 02:00

Disable Secure Boot.

I want to disable secure boot on my Inspiron 17R to upgrade to Windows 8.After shutting down and then restarting pressing F2 or F10 it drops into

advanced boot options but I can't find   where the boot options are, never mind changed.Can can anyone walk me through this in more detail.Appologies

if I'm being a bit dim.

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

November 20th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Secure boot is a feature of Windows 8 which uses a public-key infrastructure to verify the integrity of the Operating System and prevent unauthorized programs such as boot kits from infecting the device.

I checked the BIOS of your system model and there is no option to disable secure boot.

Before installing Windows 8, I would suggest you to run Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant by clicking the link mentioned below, it will scan system hardware, apps, and connected devices to see if they'll work with Windows 8:

http://bit.ly/PSGwvj

You may refer to the link mentioned below for some more information:

http://bit.ly/SMLRju

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

November 11th, 2012 22:00

Hi,

Please provide the complete system model, as BIOS of a system may differ depending on the model.

Also, let me know the current BIOS version.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

November 12th, 2012 05:00

Hi

My system is a recently bought (sept) Dell 17R Inspiron5720.It has an i7 processor with 6 GB ram and 1 TB hard drive.It

is running Windows 7 64 Bit OS.By running  a dell scan of the system it tells me that it has

BIOS version Dell - 2

06/08/12..

As I say can't seem to drop into system set up to view/change secure boot.

thanks for your time ..... jt

5 Posts

November 13th, 2012 07:00

If this helps, on pressing F2 on start up up.The screen says BIOS is  version A05

3 Posts

March 28th, 2013 09:00

This is incorrect. I had to disable secure boot to find the Boot from CD option, and now I can't re-enable secure boot -- which is why I found this page in the first place.

3 Posts

March 28th, 2013 10:00

Let me clarify my above comment. First, I'm not sure how close an Inspiron 17R is to a plain 17. My system is a 17 with BIOS A04. There are three boot options available regarding Secure Boot: (1) Legacy boot, with secure boot off, (2) UEFI with secure boot off, and (3) UEFI with secure boot on. On my system, they are available by selecting F12 at boot time, then selecting "Change boot mode settings" in the resulting display. I found that I had to go to legacy boot to be able to boot from a CDROM, but it was easy enough to get back to UEFI with secure boot, which, after all, is trying to protect the user.

1 Message

August 19th, 2015 16:00

Dear Manshu,

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 5558 Laptop.  I have a backup program (Novastor) that I have used to create a backup of my entire C drive and have stored it on a USB drive.  Now I want to know how to disable the Secure Boot in the bios on this computer so I will be able to boot from the CD boot disc or startup disk.  My "Startup" or "Boot" disk contains a small operating system, which will allow me to start Windows and execute a utility program.  The Utility program I will want to start is Novastor (a backup and recovery software program).   If my hard disk drive ever fails or if I decide to purchase a larger or faster hard drive, the CD boot disk will allow you to boot up your computer off the disk.

The Bios version on my new Dell Laptop is:

Award Software International, Inc.  F10 10/12/2011

Diane

No Events found!