Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2013 12:00

Does Windows 8 alter Outlook 2010 PST files??

Does Windows 8 alter Outlook 2010 PST files??

Here is why I ask:

Under Windows 7
With Win 7, for months, I have be using Outlook 2010 with multiple small PST files . These are backed-up across many disks, and periodically recovered. All Good.

Under Windows 8
In January I got a new machine with Windows 8. All my PSTs were read fine and I was using Outllok 2010 without issue. Still ll good.

Back to Windows 7
Then , this week, I decided to go back to Windows 7. Fresh install on a new drive.  I re-installed Office 2010, and its read all my PST files EXECEPT for the 4 PST files that were briefly opened when I was using Windows 8.For those files only, I am getting the error below when trying to open those files. I tried to  repair  it with SCNAPST, but it too does not recognize it as a PST file.

One of those PST file contains all of my 2012 send and received email.

Thoughts??

1 Message

October 14th, 2015 09:00

I am curious if you ever found any resolution to this issue. I also have 3 PST files  that were in a windows 8 environment at home and now that I have moved them to windows 7 at the office I get the same two error messages you provide above from Outlook and Scanpst.exe. Was there any resolution?

Any input is really appreciated.

509 Posts

October 14th, 2015 11:00

Well, it's been a while, and I think at the time I just gave up, and concluded it was an anomaly in going back and forth between Win 7 and Win 8 one too many times. In terms of recovering any lost files, If I recall correctly, in all came back when I returned again to Windows 8,

I am now on Windows 10 on all machines, and never looked back. No issues with my PST files.

No Events found!