Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2015 08:00

Help! Error code 0xc0000185 prompt on my DELL vostro windows 8

My laptop suddenly hanged up so i decided to do force shut down ( holding the power button until it shuts down). Then i start my laptop and after the dell logo appeared it went to blue screen and below details shows in the screen:

Recovery

your PC needs to be repaired

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Error code: 0xc0000185

You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have installation media ( like disc or usb device) contact your system administrator or pc manufacturer.

Press enter to try again

Press F8 for startup settings

press esc for UEFI firmware settings

------

unfortunately, i dont have the installation media nor back up my windows. what should i do? I'm so worried about it. I have tried to press F8 but nothing happen. i also pressed F8 several times when dell logo appears, still nothing happened i was directed to EPsa diagnostics.

MY colleague also told me to try insert windows 8 installation but the problem is i dont have the product key.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

March 12th, 2015 12:00

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

March 12th, 2015 12:00

What Win 8 installation disk do you have? You shouldn't need the activation key to just get to the Recovery files. 

Here's a site that discusses methods to solve the 0x185 error. Be aware that you could have a bad hard drive.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 12th, 2015 13:00

What model of Vostro is this? You can follow the instructions here to download a Windows 8.1 with Update 1 iso for use with a UEFI BIOS:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

3 Posts

March 12th, 2015 18:00

Hi natakuc4,

I have vostro 5470 with windows 8 single lang OS.

3 Posts

March 12th, 2015 18:00

I actually don't have and still looking for the right windows 8 for my laptop, which is i think windows 8 single language.

I hope the problem is not in my hard drive because few days ago its working properly and it didn't fall nor bump to any hard objects.

No Events found!