Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2012 03:00

Location of Windows 8 Key sticker on Alienware x51 system

Hello,

I cannot locate a windows 8 sticker with the activation key on the box on my new system.

I want to install new win8 pro from the DVD on a new SSD and would prefer to have a single partition without any restore images etc. ( 256 GB SSD) but I cannot find the sticker with the activation key on the box.

I noticed that my Win8 pro box also does not have a sticker but a keycard .

Microsoft has changed something .

What is the solution ?

Anil Ghatikar

• 

3.3K Posts

November 16th, 2012 04:00

Hi ghatikar,

Windows 8 operating system does not go with product key as it is embedded in the BIOS. In case you are installing the operating system using the DVDs sent by Dell with the system, you will not be prompted to enter the product key.

In case you have purchased Windows 8 from a retailer, then the product key will be provided with the retail pack

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 13:00

Ok, nevermind,,,,,

Right-click MY COMPUTER --->> PROPERTIES

WINDOWS ACTIVATION (last item listed)
Win 8 Product Key is there!

EDIT to the above...
This is NOT the Win 8 ACTIVATION KEY

My original post still stands. Where can we get the activation key?

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 13:00

Ok, what do we do if Microsoft requests the product key? Where can find the product key that the x51 is currently using so that we could write it down, print it out or have it handy for when MS requests it? I have run into this instance already and you can test this (for Windows 8):

Go to CONTROL PANEL -->> WINDOWS UPDATE -->> (in the bottom-left corner) ADD FEATURES TO WINDOWS 8

It starts a wizard, the first question asks to buy a Product Key, or asks if you already have one. After selecting 'I HAVE A PRODUCT KEY, the next screen is where you type it in with the dashes, etc. Now I just want to say that I ran into this after a typical Windows Update and was curious of what I could 'add' to my Windows 8 experience when I spotted the 'ADD FEATURES TO WINDOWS 8' link at the bottom-left corner. I think that this wizard will probably take you to something that would let you 'change' the version of Windows 8 that is currently installed as opposed to adding certain features to the current installed version. Either way, this isn't the point... I think we should at least have the Windows Key available if we ever need it, even if we would never need it.

Is there a way to obtain the key that is on the x51?

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2012 15:00

Hi ghatikar,

Windows 8 operating system does not go with product key as it is embedded in the BIOS. In case you are installing the operating system using the DVDs sent by Dell with the system, you will not be prompted to enter the product key.

In case you have purchased Windows 8 from a retailer, then the product key will be provided with the retail pack

My X51 system only came with a driver disk and restore partition - I would have loved to do fresh install on SSD. But never mind with 40 USD per OS it is not a hassle to just buy new one

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 15:00

Can try Belarc Advisor to see if it gives you a key.

The add features you mentioned earlier is for the Pro pack and Media Centre for example. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/feature-packs

5 Posts

December 15th, 2012 19:00

Thanks natakuc4, Belarc revealed the Win 8 key. I especially want to upgrade to Win 8 Pro. I don't care for the Win Home networking workgroups and such; I have a separate workgroup the usual homegroup in addition to wanting to use the XBOX360 to take advantage of Windows Media center from a different room that the X-51 to play my media. This should be helpful in upgrading to the WIn 8 Pro + Windows Media Center. Thanks again

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 16th, 2012 02:00

You should probably use Windows 8 add features to get Windows 8 pro.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/feature-packs

The setup will then add the Professional features and Media Centre.

I don't know if you will get the option to download Windows 8 Professional .iso though.

5 Posts

December 16th, 2012 09:00

The OP was referring to Win 8 Pro install from DVD .iso and needed a key although the X-51 comes with Win 8, not Win 8 Pro. I do not need to do a clean install (already have the system drive as SSD). I am fine with doing the factory install, then slapping Win 8 Pro + Windows Media Center on top of that if I ever need to do that in the future.

5 Posts

December 16th, 2012 09:00

Yes, this was what I was doing, except the trick was obtaining the X-51 Win 8 key first in order to upgrade to Win 8 Pro. Haven't done this part yet as I am still setting up my system, network, NAS, RAID, copying & cleaning media libraries, etc. (total refresh of my entire system) as I am using the x-51 as the living room HTPC with XBMC as the front-end hub with other PCs, TVs, UPnP clients taking advantage of the X-51's XBMC media. Belarc was able to get me the Win 8 key. Thanks again for your valuable info

2 Posts

May 27th, 2014 12:00

Program name rw everything  take you to bios and you will see it.click link.http://rweverything.com/download/

1 Message

January 4th, 2018 15:00

what do u do if u cant get to your bios to find your product key/ cant boot your pc. im trying to reinstall windows using the cd my computer came with and i cant reinstall windows cause it is asking me for a product key

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

January 4th, 2018 17:00

what do u do if u cant get to your bios to find your product key/ cant boot your pc. im trying to reinstall windows using the cd my computer came with and i cant reinstall windows cause it is asking me for a product key

If you have a Dell Windows CD which you claim you have then you won't be prompted for a product key.

The Windows version of the CD must match exactly what was originally installed on the PC when you bought it so that it can activate from the product key in the BIOS.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 4th, 2018 23:00

Use Windows 10 Installation Media, it will accept all Windows 8.0 OEM SLP keys, Windows 8.1 OEM SLP keys and Windows 10 OEM SLP keys installing the correct Edition of Windows 10. More details here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-1709/ 

P.S. provide your model of Dell and Windows Version if you want more in depth details.

No Events found!