Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

May 14th, 2016 12:00

MS Office 2013 won't run after a software crash

I have had two crashes where Win 8.1 would not load, due to an incompatible antivirus upgrade (Avast). I have got it running again, with a Factory Recovery program on an USB stick. All my programs were lost in the recovery, but I have successfully reinstalled Firefox, T'bird, etc. I have a legitimate Office 2013 suite, bought as a licensed download. The MS stores accept my login, Product Key, etc and let me download the Office 2013 suite again, but when I try to use Word 2013 it fails with the message: "Microsoft Office cannot verify the license for this product. Repair Office program by using Control Panel" I have followed this instruction twice, and downloaded & reinstalled Office 2013 three or four times, both direct from /stores.office.com/ and via the Control Panel "repair" option, but every time I try to use Word I get the error message and it closes down.

The machine is an Inspiron 3646, bought a little over a year ago, with Win 8.1 loaded, but no CDROM to reinstall the OS.

Does anyone know a reason and a solution?  Many thanks.

331 Posts

May 15th, 2016 09:00

Hi triffic,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

Use this link http://bit.ly/1NuNLrm using Internet Explorer, run the O15CTRRemove easy fix tool. It would start the uninstall Microsoft Office wizard, follow the prompts this tool will uninstall the MS Office 2013 completely. On completion of uninstalling it would prompt you to restart the system.

Find Avast icon in the Windows system tray (click on the top arrow)

Go to ‘Avast shields control‘ > ‘Disable until the computer is restarted‘ > confirm.

Install the Microsoft Office 2013, activate the same online and then restart the system for Avast to be enabled.

Kindly get back if there are any further queries.

9 Posts

May 16th, 2016 08:00

Many thanks for the detailed instructions. The O15CTRRemove program seemed to do a very thorough job of removing all the MS Office. I had already uninstalled Avast, because it seemed to be the cause of the Windows crash, and have replaced it with McAfee.

I then restarted the Inspiron computer and reinstalled MS Offfice 2013 from the 'stores' website, using the product code. When the re-installation was complete I again closed-and-restarted and tried to open Word. Alas, it still fails with the message about License not being recognized.  Also, the computer had now started to flag up that Windows 8.1 has not been activated, and I need to input the Product Key to activate Windows.

The new problem is that I was never given the product key for Windows 8.1. Dell supplied the Inspiron as a special package, just over a year ago, with 8.1 pre-installed, but no DVD disk of software for recovery, so no product key on a disk. They should have given me the Windows product key in the invoice, but failed to do so.  I have just spent a long time on the phone to Dell UK at their Bracknell branch, and have hit a brick wall. The man who should have been able to help told me that because the guarantee had expired (four weeks ago) they would not tell me the product key. That was "Company Policy". I suggested that they had a responsibility to provide customers with all Product Keys (maybe a legal duty, maybe a Microsoft trading condition) but he was adamant that Dell would not provide it. He told me that my only resort was to buy a new Windows 8.1 license and installation disk!!!

So we still do not have a computer that works the way it used to before the crash (and expiry of guarantee). Very bad customer support!

Thanks a lot for trying to help me.

Martin

331 Posts

May 18th, 2016 15:00

Hi Martin,

The windows 8.1 is an OEM copy, it would not require a product key to be entered. Please let us know, if you reinstalled the OS on this system using a different copy of windows 8.1. What happens when you try to activate the windows 8.1 on the system. If the recovery media is ordered along with the system, you would see it listed in your invoice copy. Please refer to this link http://dell.to/1U04AJW to reset it back to factory settings. Also request you to please let us know the procedure you followed, to restore the system back to factory settings earlier. 

Please do write back to us.

9 Posts

May 19th, 2016 11:00

I found the Windows 8.1 product key by using a software program to extract it from BIOS. However, it did not work either. Direct correspondence with Dell UK suggests that something became corrupted during one of the several crashes.

We dislike Win 8.1 intensely and have decided to abandon attempts at restoring it.  I am hoping to do a clean install of Windows 7 Professional on the Inspiron 3646 as soon as I receive my purchase. The Word version in Office 2013 is also unpleasant to use, and I have bought a full copy of Office 2007 to install. I regret having to buy new programs when the installed ones had been paid for.  I have used Win 7 Pro and Office 2007 for about two years on my Optiplex desktop wihout problems.

Thanks for trying to help.

331 Posts

May 19th, 2016 16:00

Hi Martin,

Do reply to this community thread so that if there are any more queries we will be glad to assist you

No Events found!