Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2013 12:00

New Inspiron Laptop - in Chinese!

I have a new inspiron laptop running windows 8 and a lot of my apps default to Chinese! (Bing, Weather, Store). I deleted the Bing and Weather apps, and changed my location in Windows 8, but I still get a Chinese store and have no idea how to change it. Please help!

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

July 24th, 2013 14:00

Hi KRISTOBIN,

Please ensure the system language is set in English.

• Press and hold the Windows key and press R to open the run the window
  • Type ‘intl.cpl’ in the start search box, press ‘ENTER’
  • Click on the ‘Keyboards and Language tab’, click ‘Change keyboards’
  • Under ‘Default input language’, ensure that ‘English (United States)- US’ is selected
  • Under ‘Installed Services’, remove all the language options you are able to see (to remove the language, highlight the language and click on remove)
  • Click ‘Add’
  • Expand the language ‘English’
  • Expand ‘Keyboard’ list, select the ‘United States-International’, check the box, and then click ‘OK’

Hope this helps.

1 Message

August 30th, 2014 13:00

Dell Windows 8 Inspiron 3135, new in 2014. Same general problem, but only BING is in Chinese. Geek Squad hasn't resolved it. Can't find a relevant Microsoft response on the web - their only tech support response refers to a forum link which doesn't load. Screen size/resolution cuts off the "gear" for options on the BIng.com page, so that's not accessible. Resetting lower resolution doesn't help this. RE above Dell instructions: There is no "Keyboards and Language" tab after typing 'intl.cpl'

April 28th, 2015 23:00

I have the exact same problem with the same lack of respect and support from Dell, Microsoft and Best Buy.....I'm sure it has to do with the fact the BIOS burn and windows OEM install were all done in The Peoples Republic of China....hence their language is the choice for search default. But what do I know, I'm just the end user. Look above to see that CN.BING.COM is the search provider.  Cant remove it to then add in proper www.bing.com.  who's fault is this???? Microsoft...Dell...or mine for being so stupid as to think it either of you would bother to help fix it.

1 Rookie

• 

36 Posts

April 29th, 2015 10:00

I have yet to receive a response from anyone, with the exception of yourself, about the problem I had posted so long ago. I felt that if anyone had viewed what I had posted, they would most likely just view it as some craziness from someone who has posted some simple problems in the past and who wasn't worth a response. It has always seem to me that if you weren't posting some huge technical problem, the simple problems from someone who isn't as computer savvy as some of the others who post would not be answered.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 29th, 2015 11:00

Select Find more search providers. Add another search provider such as Google and set it as default. Once this is default you may remove Bing and then read it (hopefully in English). 

April 30th, 2015 09:00

The fact that I don't have a lot of money meant that I had to purchase last years model brand-new from Best Buy on April 14th 2015. So, maybe that's why my response to your (our) issue is from so long ago.  All of the suggestions (support) I have received from Dell, Microsoft and Best Buy have amounted to platitudes and very obvious suggestions.  They "try" and I still have my problem. After 2 days of research on my own and after 2 weeks of waging through Bing in Mandarin, I solved the problem myself.  If your issue was in fact exactly the same as mine then: A) under the IE sprocket, B) under manage ad-on's, C) under search providers, you have Bing listed as the only search provider and the address is www.CN.BING.COM which is Chinese Bing.  If you are running windows 8.1 with all the latest updates and IE11, Then the only way you can change this is by rolling back Microsoft Security update KB 3038314 and then adding a second, "other, Google, Yahoo" search provider and making IT the default.  Then and only then can you remove the errant Chinese Bing and Re-add American or English Bing. Does this make sense?  If not, please respond and I will lay out a click by click for you.

No Events found!