Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

November 2nd, 2012 09:00

No Win8 install disk?

I've just bought a new Dell computer (Inspiron 15R 5520) for my daughter which comes with Windows 8. However, there is no Windows 8 reinstallation disk.

Every computer I've ever bought has come with the software disks (I tend to think the software is the valuable bit - the hardware is almost give away). I've had to reinstall windows multiple times on all the PCs I've owned. Not having the disks feels pretty vulnerable.

I know there is the thing about Restore Partitions etc - but what do I do if the hard disk dies and I have to replace it - and the restore partition is gone?

I must have missed something - can you help? How do I get hold of instalations disks and a licence key for Windows 8, so I can get my laptop back if and when it dies?

Cheers

Eric

November 2nd, 2012 14:00

Hi,

I apologize for the inconvenience the above issue has caused you, however, if you provide me the system Service Tag in a private message and I will see what best I can do to help you in this concern.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply to my private message.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

• 

16.7K Posts

November 5th, 2012 06:00

bb193,

Your Windows 8 system has a program that creates the backup media. It creates your Windows 8 disk. At the link below is information that will provide information on creating the disk needed for your computer.The Windows product key is imbededded into the motherboard. There is no need for inputting this when installing Windows on your Dell Computer

Dell Backup and Recovery Manager

Using the Dell Backup and Recovery Manager

22 Posts

November 7th, 2012 09:00

Sorry for the delay. I had a look at the Dell Backup and recovery Manager that is installed on the Windows 8 laptop. It provided the facility to put a factory backup on 3 DVDs, which is failrly useful.

However, I couldn;t see how to just get Windows 8 installation on a single disk. I'm guessing that it is not provided now for Windows 8. It is a shame - I'd rather have the pure product rather than all the other bits like Mcafee, Office trial etc.

• 

16.7K Posts

November 7th, 2012 09:00

bb193,

I understand your disappointment.  Microsoft started the OEM  "media reduction" with the Windows 7 release. There as been quit a bit of discussion around this topic. I am not sure if this well ever change.

November 9th, 2012 01:00

The version of Dell Backup and Recovery manager shipped with my Windows 8 laptop in the UK is different to any of the documentation I can find on dell site and I am having trouble using.  I think I have managed to create a Recovery Disc (on an external drive) but most of the other options (factory default and apps and drives) unable to create to any media.

140 Posts

November 11th, 2012 01:00

I know that with Win 7 one can request a DELL REINSTALLATION disk using this link:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

I was told that I cannot order a Reinstallation disk until the machine arrives because the service tag number must be entered on the order form. I was told to use the above form to order it for Windows 8 as well as Windows 7.

Why would this change with Windows 8?

There is an excellent tutorial on this forum recommending that ALL purchasers of Dell machines with Win 7 order a Reinstallation disk and reinstall a clean version of Windows before using the computer. Are you saying that those buying Windows 8 machines will be unable to reformat and install a clean Windows 8?

Please respond because I will cancel this machine I ordered (which is currently in production) if I cannot order a Reinstallation disk.  Then I will place a new order for a Windows 7 machine for which I know I can order a Dell Reinstallation disk.

I will be publishing any Dell official reply to various forums because I know that many persons will not buy a Windows 8 machine from Dell if they cannot order a Reinstallation disk like they can for Windows 7. 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 11th, 2012 07:00

Its not an ideal solution and indeed only viable for a short duration of time; Microsoft are selling Windows 8 Professional for a promotional price at the moment. You can get it for $39.99/£24.99. This will last until January 31, 2013, you can buy the DVD from them for an additional cost also.

If you purchase your system with Windows 8 preinstalled by Dell you can purchase Windows 8 Professional from Microsoft which at present is cheaper then getting Windows 8 Professional direct from Dell (at £60 for an XPS 8500), due to the release promotion. It likely won't be cheaper after the release promotion expires. 

Importantly if you get the upgrade from Microsoft you will be able to download a .iso file which you can use to make a installation DVD or USB. I'm not sure how much Dell will charge for shipment of recovery media but its probably more economic to get Windows 8 professional and a .iso download link at present.

See Step 3 of my wiki A Clean install of Windows 8.

Also for a limited time get Windows 8 Media Centre Pack for Free. See here.

There is a free Dell Windows 8 for Dummies guide available from here.

1 Message

November 11th, 2012 19:00

Hi,

I bought a laptop from dell with reinstalled win 8 but without win 8 installation disk.

Please advice how to get the installation disk?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 11th, 2012 23:00

bb193,

I understand your disappointment.  Microsoft started the OEM  "media reduction" with the Windows 7 release. There as been quit a bit of discussion around this topic. I am not sure if this well ever change.

Any news about Windows 8 setup files or .iso and My Dell Downloads?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 11th, 2012 23:00

You may attempt calling Dell support and asking for one.

For those customers not in the US you will need to contact Dell technical support and ask for one. The customer numbers are available here.

I don't know what Dells policy is for Windows 8, see how much they charge, you may be cheaper buying Windows 8 Professional with a DVD direct from Microsoft.

November 12th, 2012 00:00

In UK Laptop ships with Dell backup and recovery software HOWEVER can;t get the option to create recovery media factory defaults or apps and drivers to work.  Have managed to create recovery disc (on an external drive) and I hope that will be suffficient if I every need.  I think for someone you is non technical your average laptop user this is all far too complicated.....

22 Posts

November 12th, 2012 00:00

Its not an ideal solution and indeed only viable for a short duration of time; Microsoft are selling Windows 8 Professional for a promotional price at the moment. You can get it for $39.99/£24.99. This will last until January 31, 2013, you can buy the DVD from them for an additional cost also.

If you purchase your system with Windows 8 preinstalled by Dell you can purchase Windows 8 Professional from Microsoft which at present is cheaper then getting Windows 8 Professional direct from Dell (at £60 for an XPS 8500), due to the release promotion. It likely won't be cheaper after the release promotion expires. 

Importantly if you get the upgrade from Microsoft you will be able to download a .iso file which you can use to make a installation DVD or USB. I'm not sure how much Dell will charge for shipment of recovery media but its probably more economic to get Windows 8 professional and a .iso download link at present.

See Step 3 of my wiki A Clean install of Windows 8.

Also for a limited time get Windows 8 Media Centre Pack for Free. See here.

There is a free Dell Windows 8 for Dummies guide available from here.

I had considered buying the £24.99 Windows Pro, but I don't think it works.

The £24.99 version ( http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.257641900?tid=szuueYwb6) says that it only works as an upgrade where 'customers must be running Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7'. There is anyother link for people running Windows 8  which is for Windows 8 Pro Pack( http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/pdp/productID.257642500) which costs twice as much - £49.99.

So it costs twice as much to upgrade to 8 Pro from 8 as it does to upgrade from XP, Vista or 7.

140 Posts

November 12th, 2012 04:00

Regarding the "A Clean Install of Windows 8" that is not a guide to a clean install of Windows 8 on a Windows 8 computer! Where is that wiki like the one here that I planned to follow had I bought a Win 7 Pro from Dell? I had planned to do nothing with my new machine until I got the Reinstallation disk be it Win 7 or Win 8 disk and then I would do a clean install. I don't want a machine that I can't do a clean install on.

Buying a Dell computer with plain Win 8 and then doing some Microsoft upgrade would negate downgrade rights to Win 7 Pro I think. So, I didn't even consider doing that.  I specifically purchased Win 8 Pro from Dell ($60 or $65 more) so I would have downgrade rights to Win 7 Pro. I wanted to purchase a Win 7 Pro computer from Dell but Dell has made it a nightmare purchase anything from them since the middle of October (BEFORE Win 8 was released).  I did first purchase, Oct 20, a Win 7 XPS 8500 desktop only to have Dell cancel the order a week later saying that the Radeon 7870 video card was no longer available for this machine and would NEVER AGAIN BE AVAILABLE! So, I ordered a Win 8 Pro XPS 8500 with the FINALLY available nVidia 660 GTX card.  (I wanted nVidia card from the beginning but Dell only offered two extremely low end ones until very recently).

I would like to know how Dell plans to fulfill their obligation to Microsoft regarding downgrade rights from Win 8 Pro to Win 7 Pro if they are not providing a Reinstallation disk for Win 8 if asked for one. Microsoft has made it very clear that downgrade rights reside with the purchaser of Windows 8 Pro and not with the OEM to decide if it wishes to grant downgrade rights or not. Thus, Dell will need to provide me with a Win 7 Pro disk if I can't adjust to Win 8 Pro at the present time and wish to exercise my downgrade rights. I specifically bought Win 8 Pro version on this new machine (that arrives this coming week) so I could exercise my downgrade rights if I find Win 8 too much of a challenge at this time. Dell will also have to provide media for my eventual upgrade back to Win 8 so that means they have to make Win 8 Reinstallation disks at least for Win 8 Pro. (There are no downgrade rights on Win 8 non Pro version).

There is also the related issue regarding specific video cards now available on Dell Win 8 machines that supposedly will not work if you exercise downgrade rights to Win 7 Pro.  Is this true? I just learned this tonight. How can Dell be installing video cards on Win 8 Pro machines that prevent the user from exercising downgrade rights and not even informing the purchaser of this situation before they purchase? 

I have been a loyal Dell buyer since my first computer in 1999 and I never, with previous purchases, had anywhere near the horrible problems I have had trying to purchase this current machine. It has been a nightmare...an ongoing...seemingly never ending nightmare which started back in May when I came here before buying the XPS 8500 and read the thread about the non-functional PCI e ports and decided to wait until Dell fixed the problem. That took many months and then when it was finally fixed and I tried to buy a machine it has been one problem after another.  And now this worry about Reinstallation disk availability, and my downgrade rights, and now yet another problem regarding the video card not working if I exercise my downgrade rights. I am utterly exhausted from simply trying to buy a new computer.

November 12th, 2012 07:00

Does anyone have any up to date documentation for Dell Backup and Recovery manager as all the versions I can find are NOT the same as the version of the s/w on my new windows 8 Laptop

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 12th, 2012 10:00

I am the author of the Clean Install of Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 wikies.

Unfortunately I am awaiting some more details from Dell about requesting reinstallation media for Windows 8. This OEM reduction of media is very frustrating and detremental to the end user.

In addition I cannot find any official Digital River links for Windows 8 as Microsoft seem to be selling it directly and only letting you download Windows 8 if you buy it from them. I agree my A Clean Install of Windows 8 is more of upgrading to Windows 8 via A Clean Install then performing A Clean Install. I cannot update it frther until I get my hands on a new system with Windows 8 and have my hands on a Windows 8 Reinstallation DVD.

You may attempt to request installation media using the form or phoning technical support as you would for Windows 7. For US customers there is an online request form for Reinstallation Media. For those customers not in the US you will need to contact Dell technical support and ask for one. The customer numbers are available here.  Explain that you want both Windows 7 Professional and Windows 8 Professional media and want to execute downgrade rights. If you do this can you please let me know the end result and how much Dell charged you for this, if they charge for a new system.

No Events found!