Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2012 16:00

USB ports not recognized

I have a Dimension 4700, reformatted hard drive, reinstalled all drivers from the Dell Resource CD, yet the USB ports will not recognize hardware or flash drive.

Any ideas,

Thanks

5 Posts

November 14th, 2012 18:00

Printer is plugged into USB but the Device Mgr indicates "USB Printing Support" with an exclamation mark, when click Properties it states "This device can not start. (Code 10)"

The USB port at front of tower will recognize a IR wireless mouse but not a flash drive, when going to Device Mgr indicates "USB Composite Device" with an exclamation mark, when click Properties it states "This device can not start. (Code 10)"

The other devices connected to USB ports work, when I insert the flash drive into the USB of a different computer it opens correctly.

November 14th, 2012 18:00

Hi gfsrch,

Please try the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Release flea power and Restart the computer
- Power off the computer
- Unplug all physical connections from the back of the tower
- Press and hold down the power button for 20 seconds to discharge residual power
- Restart the computer and recheck

2. If the issue persists, use 'Device Manager' to 'scan for hardware changes':
- Click 'Start', and then click 'Run'
- Type 'devmgmt.msc' (without quotation), and then click 'OK'. 'Device Manager' opens
- In 'Device Manager', click your computer so that it is highlighted
- Click 'Action', and then click 'Scan for hardware changes'
- Check the USB device to see whether it is working

3. If you continue facing issues, Disable and re-enable the USB controller
Use 'Device Manager' to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager.
To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then click Run
- Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens
- Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
- Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it
- Uninstall each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers
- Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled
- Check the USB device to see whether it is working

If you still experience issues, please post a screenshot of the 'device manager' page. We will check and ensure that all drivers are properly installed. Please remove USB hub if being used; and plug the USB devices directly into the computer. I also recommend testing the USB devices on different USB ports on the computer. Sometimes a particular port may not work. Also try using a different USB device with the computer.

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

November 15th, 2012 00:00

Hi gfsrch,

Exclamation mark besides 'Printer' indicates that the printer software is not installed or the currently installed printer software is corrupt and needs re-installation. Please share the printer model name and the operating system installed on your computer if you need help with its installation.

There are a total of 8 USB ports on the computer. Good to know that all ports at the back side of the tower work fine. Please check if both the front USB ports behave similarly (recognize the IR device but not the flash drive).

It is not a hardware related issue and would most likely get fixed with the troubleshooting steps I shared in my original post. Also, install 'Windows updates' to update the computer with the latest service pack version. If it doesn't, we will re-install the chip-set drivers also. I recommend you to follow the troubleshooting steps I suggested and post the results.

Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

5 Posts

November 15th, 2012 03:00

I reinstalled printer drivers (from Dell site) for my HP 1320c printer, printed test page then when I tried to print same problem occurred, the printer is plugged into a USB in back of the tower.

Updated BIOS, no solution.  I followed all troubleshooting steps in your first response, no effect.  I found the disk which came with the computer and installed chip drivers, no effect.    

Both front ports do recognize the IR device but not flash drive, it is strange that on rare occassion in this process when plugging in flash drive it indicates "removable drive", but quickly reverts to not recognizing.  

This all began after reformatting hard drive and reinstalling all drivers on the disk provided with computer, then downloading drivers for printer.  Service Tag for tower - <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> . Service Tag for printer - <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

I would reformat again and start over but without knowing what the error is feel likely a waste of time.... your thoughts and help are greatly appreciated.

November 20th, 2012 00:00

Hi gfsrch,

Thank you for your response. I agree with your thought about re-installing 'Windows' as there is no issue with the USB ports. It appears to be a software issue and should get fixed with a clean 'Windows re-install'.

Please ensure the following:
1. Before re-installing Windows, remove all external peripherals from the computer. (Except the essential components like monitor, power cable, mouse and keyboard)
2. Follow the sequence mentioned below to install device drivers after completing 'Windows re-install' procedure:
- Click http://dell.to/UcCXO8 to access the 'drivers and downloads' for your computer (Select all related drivers for your Product: 60 files)
a) Desktop System Software (DSS): A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling Windows or updating all drivers, it is important that this software be installed first. This is located under the System Utilities.
b) Chipset
c) PCMCIA/Smartcard controller and is located under the Security Category
d) Intel Storage: Intel Matrix Storage Manager located under Serial ATA Category
e) Audio: Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category
f) Video: Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Category
g) Network Interface Card (NIC) / Ethernet Controller: Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category
h) Dell Quickset: Controls power management and the ambient light sensor. This is located under the Applications Category
that you install all drivers in the correct sequence

Hope this helps. do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

5 Posts

November 27th, 2012 13:00

I have tried all suggested, here is the strange status... I have a scanner installed on computer which uses a USB port, if I unplug the scanner and put the flash drive in the port the scanner was in the thumb drive is recognized.  Any USB port which I plug in the scanner and having the computer recognize the scanner then plug in the thumb drive, the thumb drive is recognized. If I simply plug the thumb drive in without first plugging in the scanner the thumb drive is not recognized.

Any thoughts?

November 30th, 2012 23:00

Hi gfsrch,

It is an unusual pattern for the USB ports in the computer. Since all USB ports appear to be working intermittently with the thumb drive, you may want to use a known-good thumb drive to see if that makes any difference.

Also share if you are using the front USB ports or the  ones at the back of the tower. If only the front USB ports exhibit this unusual behavior, it may also indicate an issue with the front input/output panel.

Do reply if you have any further questions. Glad to assist.

No Events found!