Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2015 14:00

What is DFSSvc.exe (Dell.DFS.Agent.WinService) in Task Manager.

Not sure if this post belongs in Windows 8 forum. Moderator, please move where applicable.

Hi.

I just purchase a Dell XPS 13 I5 processor win 8.1. I have a executable in task manager DfSSvc.exe (Dell.DFS.Agent.WinService) that appears to show a very high memory allocation in Task Manager 89,388K.

Can someone explain what this is used for?

Is this memory to high for this object?

Is there a fix to reduce this obj memory?

Can I end this task?

Thanks.

TC.

June 7th, 2016 15:00

Seems that this program made our ESRI GPS software connection go haywire, not sure why but I uninstalled it after noticing it had been installed and causing issues with ESRI license manager Client connections.

October 15th, 2016 11:00

dfs.agent.winservice

slows my new laptop

with windows 10

October 15th, 2016 11:00

DFS.agent.winservice

runs constantly on my new DELL LAPTOP

eating up CPU and slowing everything on my new computer

I am disappointed my more powerful computer runs slower than my old much less powerful LENOVO

October 18th, 2016 01:00

Thanks for this question, if not exact answer, resolved my issue. I went into services and changed the automatic mode to manual and stopped the DFS. It didn't help me and I never thought this would be the issue which prevented me from using Dell hardware with 8GB RAM to properly use some of my memory and CPU intensive applications.

DFS used to consume >85% CPU. This also used to overheat the laptop. Finally I sat down to investigate and clear all junk. That's when I came across this topic, and arrived at this simple solution. Change to manual and stop. Start it if you feel it's useful. I didn't remove the program since I's not very sure if it might be useful as per Dell's terms and conditions.

One thing is sure, if this DFS keeps performing this way eating up >85% CPU, I'll switch brands. Incidentally I've been loyal to Dell, with this being my 2nd personal machine. But that might be past.

4 Posts

October 21st, 2016 06:00

How do I change this to manual so I can stop it?

1 Message

October 21st, 2016 12:00

It uses 46% CPU on my 9550, 512SSD, 16Go RAM ... and I think it ate my battery in 2 hours in train ...(not a good surprise !)

1 Message

October 27th, 2016 03:00

Your reply was most helpful as this is exactly what suddenly started happening to me. When I noticed a slowdown I went to task manager and found that after disabling it fixed the problem so thanks for saying that I wasn't sure if it was safe to do.

1 Message

October 28th, 2016 04:00

I'm having the same problem on my new Alienware Aurora R5.  This program is sucking up about 30% of my CPU (4.2 Ghz) and I'm seeing 80% of my RAM being sucked up (total of 16 Gigs).  That's insane.  However, I'm a bit concerned about simply choosing "end task" in the task manager, since the error I get upon choosing this option is "Ending this process will cause Windows to become unusable or shut down, causing you to lose any data hasn't been saved.  Are you sure you want to continue?"  The only option then is to check the box that says "abandon unsaved data and shut down" then click "shut down."  Well gosh, that's certainly not an improvement.  The only way to stop this thing is to turn the computer off?  There are viruses that aren't this bad...

How, exactly, do we safely disable this thing?

1 Rookie

• 

70 Posts

October 28th, 2016 11:00

After the latest Microsoft update to Windows 10 (Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3199986))  the DFS driver went "crazy" on my Dell XPS8700 and started reading and writing to the hard-drive and using CPU like it was going out of style (I let it run for 18+ hours to see if it would complete whatever task it thought it was performing). I finally had to uninstall it and reinstall to correct the problem (and I still don't know what its purpose is).

4 Posts

October 28th, 2016 15:00

This is terrible. Started with last night's update. Exactly what does this do? I stopped the process and after 10 hours of running the fan finally is relaxing.

November 2nd, 2016 13:00

Disabling the service dropped CPU usage from 100% down to ~13%.

2 Posts

November 8th, 2016 07:00

I'm running DFS.Agent.WinService 3.4.13900.0 and it is eating CPU like crazy.

Seven threads each hammering their own core.

Not cool.

mscorlib.dll!System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert+0xd2

Core.Extensions.dll!Dell.Client.Framework.Security.Encryption.FileEncryptionStore.#a6b+0xa1

Core.Extensions.dll!Dell.Client.Framework.Security.Encryption.FileEncryptionStore.GetInstance+0xa3

Core.Extensions.dll!Dell.Client.Framework.Plugin.DFSBasePlugin.LoadDataFromFile+0x7c

Dell.Foundation.Agent.Plugins.Noc.dll!Dell.Foundation.Plugins.Notification.NotificationStorage.Load+0x7d

Dell.Foundation.Agent.Plugins.Noc.dll!#CRb.#ry.#mYb+0x1b2

Core.Extensions.dll!Dell.Client.Framework.Tryblock.Run+0x3f

Dell.Foundation.Agent.Plugins.Noc.dll!#CRb.#ry.Load+0xc8

Dell.Foundation.Agent.Plugins.Noc.dll!#CRb.#Z0b.#4hc+0x26

The process was started half an hour ago and has already consumed almost four hours CPU time on my  Precision 5510 (Core i7 btw, plenty of CPU, but I did not buy i7 only to have all CPU cycles wasted on this nonsense).

No Events found!