Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

June 8th, 2014 21:00

Windows 8.1 stuck on gray "wait" screen - Auto repair and System Restore won't work

I have a Dell laptop Inspiron 15R 7537 that came with Windows 8. Yesterday I upgraded to Windows 8.1. Everything seemed to work fine after the upgrade. I shut down and re-booted several times with no issues. When I turned the computer on as usual today, I got the log in screen, then it briefly went to the desktop, then came a gray screen that blocks 99% of the desk top. This gray screen says "please wait" and has a cancel button at the bottom. It hangs forever and the cancel button doesn't work. It gives no other information. I read several threads on the Microsoft Windws forum and this seems to be a common problem. One thread suggested to boot using the Windows 8 recovery media disk that came with the Dell computer. I selected Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Automatic Repair. I got a message that it couldn't do an automatic repair, so that didn't work. Next I tried System Restore, but I got a message that there were no restore points available from which to restore. Just to clarify - the Recovery Media Disk I have from Dell is for Windows 8 - not 8.1 - so maybe that's the problem. The computer is totally worthless the way it is now, so unless there is some fix for the hanging gray screen in Windows 8.1, I would be happy just to reload the original Windows 8 Operating System. At least that worked. I have average computer knowledge, but am not a techy by any means. Can someone please explain to me, in basic language, how to reload the Windows 8 Operating System on my computer using the Dell recovery disk. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

285 Posts

June 9th, 2014 00:00

i understand, problem with ur startup windows.... so, you have to do, first, put ur win 8 cd  and press F12 for boot menu, in the order select cd-rom.

Once, the win 8 is booted properly after that... You need to click at the bottom of the windows REPAIR THE OPERATING SYSTEM and finally choose 3rd optoion click start up repair.... 

i believe ur problem will solve to follow this stepsss.....

14 Posts

June 9th, 2014 09:00

I tried this several times but it doesn't work. I booted up using the WIN 8 recovery disk. When booting up with this disk you get 2 options: "Install WIN 8" or" Repair your Computer". I chose "repair your computer", then I chose the 3rd option "troubleshoot". From there I didn't see an option specifically called "repair the operating system", but there was one called "automatic repair". I selected "automatic repair". Another screen came up that said "select target operating system" and the only choice was WIN 8.1. I selected WIN 8.1, the repair program ran and came back with the message "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC". I tried this several times, but no luck.

285 Posts

September 9th, 2014 05:00

niii waldi1

put linux os into ur laptop and boot it select to use without change for taking backup ur data(C COLON ) to external disk or pen drive.....

and then again to put ur win 8 cd and start with fresh installation (REMEMBER YOU WILL FORMAT C COLONafter only you got ur data) that's the only solution.....

No Events found!