Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2016 15:00

win8 product key and dell recovery disk

i have a dell xps8500 and the HD  died-- so there is no recovery partition-i bought a new HD - i bought a dell win8 recovery media disk that was supposed to install without  a product key - i was told  by the dell rep that it would  just read the product key off my bios -that was untrue - it will not install--- keeps asking for a product key that was not supplied-- how do i get around this-- ive been on the phone with the dell reps and they dont seem to understand the situation--  

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 5th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

The edition of OS and the DPK injected on MB will not match if the original OS media is not used for installation.In this case you have installed OS with a different or Non-OEM edition of OS, hence it is prompting for Product key .

Kindly private message the service tag to the system.

Thanks

Robin

10 Posts

February 5th, 2016 12:00

robin____i have no idea how to private message you  on this message board--- i did not know it existed until yesterday. the dell tech rep did not   send me the disk without knowing my service tag. i will be glad to  supply you with my service tag -this message board is not very intuitive. since i no longer have a MS OS on my machine. i am using  linux  just to be here. how do i send a private message?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 8th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for your reply .

Without the service tag we will not be able to book the dispatch for the Cd's we would need the it .

Kindly click on my name and add me to your list and you then you will be able to private message me .

Thanks

Robin

8 Posts

March 1st, 2016 19:00

I am having the same problem, I took my X51 R2 in for repair to GeekSquad (never again) They returned it to me with the replaced optical drive after my 3yo grandson jammed two disc in it. But Geeksquad returned it to me with the OS wiped out and my Video card ruined. I had to buy another video card. Also had to reinstall Windows 8.1 but now it is asking for key code. Very frustrating!

No Events found!