Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2011 04:00

2nd Hard Drive not being reconised

Hi

I am having problems with my 2nd hard drive, and well the computer in general.

First here is my spec – I bought the computer in 2006

Dimension 9200 Intel Viiv 2 Duo 2.40Ghz

TV Tuner

Memory – 2x1024 DDR2 533MHz

Memory card reader

Hard Drive Config – 2x250GB serial ATA Dual HDD Config

Raid 0 Stripe

Drive 1 – DVD Rom

Drive 2 – DVD+/-RW

Graphics Card – NVIDIA GeForce 7950 1GB Single

IEEE 1394 PCI Fire Wire

Sound Card – Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced HD

Window XP Home

I reinstalled XP a couple of months after numerous crashes ago and encountered some errors straight away…

1)      I could not and still am unable to install service pack 3. I don’t recall the error code.

2)      The raid system seems to have crashed

3)      When looking at the C drive only one hard drive is showing up, it now only shows 232GB of space.

4)      Also since reinstalling, window/explorer has a tendency crash (so to speak).

Example - I am in my documents etc and suddenly nothing responds and a message saying explorer is not working.

So I have to open the task manager and it states that the open documents (my pictures, my videos, my documents etc) are not responding I then have to force quit them.

Then seems windows/explore seems to refresh. Everything disappears for a couple of seconds including the bottom task bar.

Sorry for the long winded and possibly confusing explanation, but I really am having problems.

I am replacing this PC soon as the main computer but passing it to my parents who will use it for photo storage and internet so I would like it in fully working order.

Your help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 21st, 2011 06:00

Assuming you have copied all your data from you're system and are using the Dell disc to reinstall Windows.

First thing, power down you're system and hold F12 while powering up. Run the diagnostics, particularly the extended diagnostics on the hard drive.

I would use the following program (haven't actually used it yet) but seen it recommended alot on these forums Darik's Boot and Nuke. Use it on both you're hard drives. This will eradicate all data on the hard drives.

I think you just burn it to a blank CD and boot from it. (Insert the disc Power down and hold F12 while powering up, select boot from CD/DVD).

Meanwhile download the following and save on an external hard drive or USB stick:

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Standalone (may be included on you're disc)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Standalone

Internet Explorer 8

Windows Media Player 11

• Dell System (Desktop) Software - Under System Utilities 

• Chipset Driver  - Under Chipset

• Video Driver (Looking only for Intel/ATI/nVidea ones applicable) - Under Video

• Conexant Driver, Diagnostics - Under Communications

• Intel LAN Adaptor Driver, Diagnostics - Under Network

• Wireless Card - Under Network

• Audio (any drivers before applications) - Under Audio

• Intel Matrix Storage Manager  - Under SATA Drives 

• TV Tuners/Other Video  - Under Video

Dell Support Centre 

Then install Windows from scratch onto one of the hard drives. Insert Windows disc, power down hold F12 while powering up select boot from CD/DVD and follow the onscreen instructions for installing windows. Install the following service packs, internet explorer 8, media player 11 and then the drivers.

See recommended software for my personal recommendations for security software (mainly free) or use what you are comfortable with.

Note to get the second drive up you may need to go into disc management. To do this right click the taskbar and go to properties select Start Menu

Select Advanced and Scroll down the list till you see System Administrative tools.

Select to display it on the all programs menu (or and the start menu).

Go to start>all programs>administratrative tools>computer management

Select storage>disc management local

Your second hard drive should come up here, most likely you will need to format it in the NTFS file format.

August 21st, 2011 09:00

Hi.

Okay I've done the diagnostic on the Hard Drives.

Drive 0 - Pass

Drive 1 - Fail. Return Code: 7

I am a dummy in these kind of things what does this mean, and what should I do?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 21st, 2011 10:00

Note to remove the hard drives follow the instructions in the service manual. The OS disc should mention Windows XP, is the one you need.

Okay, I'm attempting to do format the disk now, I right clicked the drive and went to "New Volume" and got to the following

1)

2)

Not sure where to go from here, should I just click Next and call it the J Drive? 

Sorry for the poor English in my last post!

I gone into the disc management this is what comes up. The option to format it doesn’t come up.

As I Stated on the diagnostic the results were

Disk 0 - Pass

Disk 1 - Fail. Return Code: 7

Do I still need too Format the drive, if so how do I do that. Also when I reinstall Windows (using the "operating System" disc that Dell Supplied I d never had a full system reinstall disc, just the OS disc and utilities discs etc) what disk do I install it on ) 0 or 1.

Hi Okay, Ill drive the format route, again I’m showing I’m a complete noob, which one would it be to remove when I check the machine? Lol

Okay I'll do that thanks for you help.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Well I don't know off-hand what the errors mean but looking around here and here. It seems that the drive has bad sectors, i.e. the drive is failing and should be replaced. It also explains the slow response/crashing you have experience (I assume this was the drive you installed windows on). Remove that hard drive and install windows on the other one.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

No point in formatting if the drive has failed.

It was the Diagnostics (the F12) at power up which gave this code 7?

To be honest I don't know what ones what. Remove the cables from one drive. (Power and SATA) power the computer back up and try the diagnostics again. If they fail then put the cables back in that drive and take the cables out the other drive (check the diagnostics again just to be sure).

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

On the one that is black (the disc one) right click it and click create volume (or something of similar wording).

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Yeah call it whatever you want and see what happens.

No Events found!