Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2009 08:00

32 BIT PROBLEM

Hi, I had to re-install my daughters Dell computer...Since then when I go into properties it only list 16 bit and not 32 bit. Is it because I did not intall a monitor CD? Did not buy the monitor with the system. It was an old one I had. I am wondering if I buy a new monitor would that help, since you get a CD when you buy a new monitor....

342 Posts

January 29th, 2009 12:00

We focus on Enterprise products on this site, so usually not the best resource for consumer issues. The Dell Community site is best place to answer consumer related questions - http://en.community.dell.com/

You'll have more eyeballs with relevant experience, but let me point you in the right direction .....

Sounds like you just need to install the correct video driver for the system. Go to support.dell.com and input the service tag or exact model of the system. It will give you a link to all the device drivers for the system. The color scheme and properties are all driven by the video device driver. Nothing to do with the monitor, although you'll want to install the monitor drivers if you have refresh rate issues.

With so many different manufacturers of components and computers, it is impossible to have every device driver on the OS installation CD. It would have to be updated hourly to keep up :-)

Good luck.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2009 13:00

"We focus on Enterprise products on this site, so usually not the best resource for consumer issues. The Dell Community site is best place to answer consumer related questions - http://en.community.dell.com/

You'll have more eyeballs with relevant experience, but let me point you in the right direction .....

Sounds like you just need to install the correct video driver for the system. Go to support.dell.com and input the service tag or exact model of the system. It will give you a link to all the device drivers for the system. The color scheme and properties are all driven by the video device driver. Nothing to do with the monitor, although you'll want to install the monitor drivers if you have refresh rate issues.

With so many different manufacturers of components and computers, it is impossible to have every device driver on the OS installation CD. It would have to be updated hourly to keep up :-)

Good luck."
thank you!
No Events found!