Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2006 00:00

A:\ drive and CD drive power up after a shutdown

After a shutdown everything powers down fan and monitor turn off and then the A:\ drive and CD drive start to power up.  It is like the system is restarting but doesn't.

I have current virus protection and all files are up-to-date for windows and I can't seem to find any info anywhere about this being related to anything.

I'm running Windows XP Home

Anyone here have an idea?

12K Posts

April 21st, 2006 01:00

How can these two devices even think about starting up withour the main system providing power??  Does not seem logical what you have proposed.

6 Posts

April 21st, 2006 10:00

Obviously they are getting power from the main system but WHY and HOW...

No it does not make logical sense that is why I am posting looking for suggestions!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 21st, 2006 14:00

If the system powers down - and the power supply is off then there is no DC power for any devices.  There is no "phantom" power anywhere in the system for just those drives. 

Doublecheck the power supply to make sure the fan in the power supply is actually stopped (may be you are hearing the other fan/fans powering off, not the power supply. 

6 Posts

April 21st, 2006 15:00

OK I will attempt to be very specific as to what is happening as looking at my first post I really didn't convey it

The whole system shuts down....everything goes completely quiet everything is powered off and then about 5 seconds after the complete shutdown the lights on the front of the computer for the drives flash on  and the drives spin up (in normal boot sequence) and then the system stops quiets down.

Normally this flash of lights only happens once but last night on 1 shutdown it actually flashed and gurgled 11 times exactly the same sequence of lights and hardware.

It is like it is attempting a restart but doesn't.  The system starts up fine after and I've run several scans and nothing seems out of place.

I have no idea if this is hardware or software driven but it is driving me nuts!

No Events found!