Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2003 11:00

Back button IE 6.0 - XP

Hi,

I am continuously having problems using the ‘back button’ in IE 6.0, in Windows XP. That’s one reason I really can’t search the forum to see if my answer is already there.

I just got this Dell, and although I have had Windows 3.1 & 98 for years, this is my first experience with XP, and also the first time that the back button is giving me problems.

It simply does not respond sometimes. At other times it works flawlessly.

Any help or suggestion anybody has would be greatly appreciated.

Christian Harkness

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 31st, 2003 14:00

Before you press the back button, click on the tiny down arrow to the right of "Back" and see if there's anything to go back to. If it's a new window, the back button will not work, since there's nothing there. Sounds like your IE is working fine. If you want to see previous sites, use the History button to get a list.

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

October 31st, 2003 14:00

I don't have a ready answer, but since you say you just got the PC, it might be worth checking for updates, although these deal mainly with security issues. Current version of IE6 is 6.2.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633. Update versions SP1;Q818529; Q330994; Q822925; Q828750.

8 Posts

October 31st, 2003 18:00

Hi Mary - thanks - ya, I understand that, but that's not it.  The darn thing just refuses to go back, and freezes up.

Chris

8 Posts

October 31st, 2003 18:00

Many thanks - I think that is something I should at least try.  Don't see why it should help, but who knows, perhaps the moon is in the right quarter.

Many thanks for writing!

Chris

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 31st, 2003 19:00

New computers don't ever have all the recent updates and need to be updated immediately. Visit the Windows Update site and install all critical updates. IE also can be repaired if necessary. Are you having any other problems? If so, a call to Dell before the the software guarantee is up might be the best thing to do. You might have something else going on that Dell can help with.

2 Intern

• 

2K Posts

October 31st, 2003 19:00

You could also use another Browser , I use Avant a tabbed Browser & have set to open new window for Address box (& links), Favorites & Search
You can download  FREE tabbed Browser called Avant, similar to IE  from;
http://www.avantbrowser.com/
Use Tools >Avant Options  >New Window , "Always create a new window for"
Also with Mail , "Send a Link"  puts active URL address in OE body.
Uses same Favorites as IE.
Has Block Pop-up , Enable/Disable
Hold "Shift" key while clicking URL to open new Windows tab. (such as Forum message so the main message tab is retained)
To add URL use Favorites > Add

Also has Toolbar button to show Pictures , Enable/Disable ( I Disable show Picture for Forum speed up loading of Reply window)

Message Edited by gryjhnhpe on 11-01-2003 07:37 AM

8 Posts

November 1st, 2003 11:00

Thanks Gary - I'll check it out.  I had a similar idea yesterday and sent away for Netscape 7.1.  Again, many thnaks. - chris

8 Posts

November 1st, 2003 11:00

Hi Mary - ya - I thought I have all the critical updates downloaded.  I started checking that yesterday.  Also checked around the Microsoft web site.  Seems there is a known problem with this.  It has something to do with frames in websistes that cause the back button to loop.  I did not get a chance to full explore all the ins and outs.

Thank you for all your patience and help - chris

No Events found!