Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2012 07:00

Black screen for 2 minutes after startup

Hello, I have bought an XPS 15 a few months ago and am quite happy with it. A few weeks ago, I am having this strange problem. After starting up windows 7(this is the version of windows which came pre-installed from Dell, I didn't reinstall it), I am greeted with a black screen(I got past the welcome screen) for 2 minutes and then the desktop shows up and I am able to use windows normally. How do I fix this problem?

FYI, I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 and am dual booting windows and ubuntu. This problem has been addressed before for some other laptop(please see http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=103633)

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

November 30th, 2012 03:00

Hi richlair,

I suggest that you remove all external devices connected to the system and check.

I would also like to know if there were any software or hardware changes made.  If no changes were made I suggest that you flash BIOS to the latest version. Please click on the link below to flash the BIOS:

http://dell.to/TIsl9m

While flashing BIOS, do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop and have the Ac adapter connected to the system as this needs uninterrupted power supply.

In case the system has up to date BIOS, I recommend you rest BIOS defaults. To set defaults restart the system and at Dell logo tap the F2 key on the keyboard every two seconds. In the BIOS screen press F9 to load defaults and F10 to save and exit from the BIOS screen.

10 Posts

November 30th, 2012 10:00

Thank you for replying.

I have updated BIOS(had to use Dell XPS L502X System BIOS). The problem persisted. I then set BIOS settings to default(exactly as you said) and the problem is not resolved yet.

I recently installed Avira Free Antivirus and Malwarebytes Antimalware but the problem was present even before that. I had uninstalled McAfee about a month ago because I was not comfortable with it.  More importantly, I had updated my Nvidia driver to version 306.97 quite recently .

I think the problem came somewhere in the time I installed Ubuntu 12.10 but I don't remember clearly. I asked my friend to install it and I remember he had used Gparted to partition the hard drive.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 11:00

Hi richlair,

I would like to know if you made any changes to the BIOS when you installed Ubuntu.

10 Posts

December 4th, 2012 21:00

He says no changes to the BIOS were made...

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

December 5th, 2012 12:00

Hi richlair,

You may have to check by removing Ubuntu.

10 Posts

December 14th, 2012 23:00

I have been trying to backup my files but it is an herculean task. So, I don't think I have any other choice but to leave it to it.

Thank you for trying to help. Much appreciated.

No Events found!