Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2010 17:00

Blue Screen Error In Microsoft Windows XP On Startup

Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this i hope it's in the right place, I have a Dimension E520-Pentium D w/ Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Service Pack 2

I have been getting a blue screen on startup with these error codes.

Problem has been detected and Windows has be shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Technical Information

Stop 0x0000007E, (0xC000000, 0xF7468040, 0xF7A0B528, 0xF7A0B224D)

iastor.sys-Address F7468040 base at F73B4000, DateStamp 44ad174b

How this all started was for the second time since Jan 1st i had Internet Security 2010 install itself on my computer, a really bad malware/trojan. It takes over your computer to where you can't do anything! This thing tells you that you have a bunch of viruses and wants to buy there software. I was very lucky the first time to remove it, but this time it did it in the background and by the time i realized what was going on it was already installed. My computer was really doing weird things and i couldn't do anything or log off so i just had to turn the hard drive off. When i went to restart it this is what i got.

Can you please tell me what these numbers mean? I noticed that everyone that's

having this same blue screen problem there numbers are different. I ran the diagnostics test and everything passed. Then i ran the Express test and it gave me a error code 0F00:1378 msg: IDE device failed blank media or no media is present. in optical drive. (The given error code and message can be used by the Dell Technical support to help diagnose the problem)

Can anyone please help me with this, I do know some computer stuff but when it comes to all this technical stuff I'm computer illiterate. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Lani

14 Posts

Hii,

You dont have to worry about the Error : IDE Device failed, this error will come while running diagnostics coz there is no media in teh drive and if you insert a Operating System CD in teh drive then it wont give you that error...That means the Hardware is working fine...

NowStop0x07E error can mean lots of things related to software, As you have already mentioned the you had a Trojan in the Computer which is not Letting you take control of teh computer, then you should try going in safe mode with networking......

How to go in safe mode : Start the computer ----- Press F8 4 - 5 times slowly but continously while you press the power Button ---- you will get Advance Windows Options, So Select Safe Mode With Networking using teh ARROW KEYS on the Keyboard, then Press Enter, again Press Enter on OS option, GOTO ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT --- Then Install and Run Malwarebytes from :: www.malwarebytes.org (Click on Free Version on teh Left) .. If there are viruses, you will get teh result in malwarebytes, So clean it as there will be options to clean the Viruses in this Applicaiton..... After doing this, Restart the compuetr in Normal Mode...... If you have Issues again, Reply back..

:emotion-5:

14 Posts

Hii,

You dont have to worry about the Error : IDE Device failed, this error will come while running diagnostics coz there is no media in teh drive and if you insert a Operating System CD in teh drive then it wont give you that error...That means the Hardware is working fine...

No Stop0x07E error can mean lots of things related to software, As you have already mentioned the you had a Trojan in the Computer which is not Letting you take control of teh computer, then you should try going in safe mode with networking......

How to go in safe mode :

Start the computer ----- Press F8 4 - 5 times slowly but continously while you press the power Button  ----   you will get Advance Windows Options, So Select Safe Mode With Networking using teh ARROW KEYS on the Keyboard, then Press Enter, again Press Enter on OS option, GOTO ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT --- 

Then Install and Run Malwarebytes from :: www.malwarebytes.org  (Click on Free Version on teh Left) ..

If there are viruses, you will get teh result in malwarebytes, So clean it as there will be options to clean the Viruses in this Applicaiton.....

After doing this, Restart the compuetr in Normal Mode......  If you have Issues again, Reply back..

4.4K Posts

January 24th, 2010 07:00

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795746.aspx

in the left pane scroll down to bugcheck 0x7E. Click on that to show the information in the right pane.

If you search the internet for iastor.sys there are many hits about this driver causing BSOD, and some claimed fixes. It is part of the intel chipset drivers. Do you have your hard drives configured in RAID?

As for testing your optical drive, it says you had not inserted a data CD before doing the test. If you want to repeat the test, insert a data CD (not an audio CD) into the drive first.

But I agree that you should first try to get rid of the virus. I hope the safe mode works... If not, since you are posting here I assume that you have acdcess to another computer. You could then try making a BartPE disc

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

You can add plugins for several antimalware software *e.g. Spybot S&D) from various sources.

7 Posts

January 24th, 2010 15:00

That's good to know about the IDE device, I already have Malwarebytes installed on my computer

It's on my desktop for easy access, That's what i used when i got it the first time with another handy

program called Rkill. When you go in to safe mode with Networking you get a bunch of scrolling numbers

and words! It's to fast to be able to read what any of it says. But that's as far as it goes then right back

to the blue screen. I have tried the others and got the same thing!

I hate to loose all my stuff but would it just be easier to do clean install. I've been out of a computer

for a week now! I just want what ever is the easiest and fastest. I appreciate all and any help

Lani

1.1K Posts

January 24th, 2010 18:00

Lani

If you cannot access Windows (Safe or Normal mode) & you don’t want to follow solutions already suggested?

Then if personal data recovery is really important you should consider buying a suitable external USB cable connected HDD enclosure, like one of these, click here

Albeit USB Root Hub ports can deliver power, buying a self-powered enclosure is probably preferred

Remove suspect/corrupt HDD & mount it in USB HDD drive enclosure then plug the unit into a USB 2.0 port on a working computer

You should then be able to recover/transfer personal data, click here

Then replace & wipe the suspect/corrupt HDD using either:

1. Dell PC Restore, if working (?) it should only take 20 minutes, procedure is click here

2. XP Clean Install, can take 2hours & you need correct CDs, procedure is click here

After using either method 1 or 2, you then need to activate security software & only go online to download & install ALL MS critical updates (the most time consuming part)

If you suspect Malware infection, scan personal data before reinstating it

No Events found!