Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2011 10:00

Blue Screen UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME 0x000000ED

Hi,

My daughter has a Inspiron Mini Netbook. This morning she booted it up and it came up the the Blue Scren and the error UNMOUNTABLE_ BOOT_VOLUME and a Stop: 0x000000ED error.

She was using the machine last night to play music on from my USB stick (No Viruses - Checked) This morning tried to start the machine and it shows the XP start screen and then goes to the blue screen.

As far as I can determine, there has been no changes since last night when it worked fine.

There is much on the net about recovering, using the XP CD and installing again etc, but this is a Netbook, NO CD or DVD. It came with no OS CD or DVD, how can I recover this. I hope I am not expected to throw it out as it cost €350 from PC World 198 months ago. The warranty ran out 6 months ago so I have no recourse to Dell, but I would like to know how to get the machine back up and running.

Please someone help as I am very frustrateed and all my daughters coourse work is on the machine for her Exams at the end of this school year.

Thanks in advance,

Neil.

17 Posts

October 6th, 2015 13:00

After reading this guide you will be able to fix an issue with your Windows 7 computer, where you get a Blue Screen error or BSOD / Stop error at the time of booting.

The error code would look be something like this :

STOP 0x000000ED (0x00000, xxxxxxx, xxxxxxx) UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

What to know about BSOD, STOP errors:

www.deskdecode.com/how-to-fix-bsod-unmountable-boot-volume-stop-0x000000ed

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

CTRL/F11 should access the Dell recovery partition (assuming it has one) and that will enable you to restore to the original factory condition.  But it will erase all the data on the hard drive.  

As you have data on that that obviously has never been backed up (a lesson on backing up - not for IF it's ever needed but for WHEN it's needed) doing the factory restore will delete it.  When I had a netbook, I had a USB connected CD/DVD drive that I could use for problems such as this.  One option, if it gets to the point that you have to completely reinstall, is to take the hard drive out and connect it to another PC and see if you can recover the user data before you do the complete reinstall.

If you have a Dell Windows XP CD, of the same version, and a USB connected drive you MAY be able to boot with the USB drive and run Windows XP REPAIR which MAY take care of the corrupted hard drive.  If you can do this, it won't delete the user data.  If you don't have an XP disc you can use, contact Dell for your area.  They will probably charge for the disc but it will be less than you buying a full retail disc.

8 Posts

Additional Information:

I have the Dell Installation Disk stating that the content is per installed on the machine.

Is there any way I can put the contants onto a USB stick and boot from that to Reinstall.

How else can I use the disk to get the system back to normal.

No matter what Start Up Options I use, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking etc etc, it still comes up with the blue screen.

I look forard to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Neil

8 Posts

fireberd,

Thanks. I have tried the CTRL / F11 on bootup but is so quick, I connot seem to get anything it goes straight to the Startup Options. it seems to be 27 secends left when the startup screen appears.

It then does the XP screen then blue screen, so I cannot even get any form of command prompt or anything.

Backup advice taken on board.

The netbook does not allow access to the hard drive other than by taking the whole thing apart - not confident about doing that myself. What sort of hard disk is it at 2.5 inch in the Netbooks?

Neil

8 Posts

September 15th, 2011 12:00

Purchased a USB External DVD / CD. Connected to Netbook but it does not see it in the bios, so unable to try and repair the OS from the Dell CD for the Netbook.

So it looks like I will have to reinstall from scratch. My question is:

How can I install the OS from scratch when thee is no CD / DVD on the Netbook. How do I boot to the Insallions of Windows XP. Is there any way to recover my hard disk or am I expected to just throw the machine away. I am at a loose end with this. PLEASE HELP.

Neil

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 17th, 2011 10:00

This could be a hard drive failure, so reinstalling is not an option. Read this article: support.microsoft.com/.../297185  The fix for unmountable boot drive error: Boot to the xp cd, use the Recovery Console & run CHKDSK  /R and let it run until done--might take hour or so on big drives. When & if that completes successfully, you can run FIXBOOT and it will repair the boot sector.  If it doesn't work or you get errors, replace the hard drive.  Dell has instructions for installing or repairing windows without a disk drive. IMO, you should replace the XP netbook with a new computer with Windows 7. It sounds like it is time for a replacement although I know 198 months of use is most likely a typo.  

8 Posts

September 19th, 2011 07:00

Thanks everyone. I have sorted it. Could not get to recovery console, blue screen appeared before that. So I took the netbook keyboard off to reveal the hard drive. I got a SATA cable and power in one and connected the drive to one of my desktop machines. I looked for the drive in the computer management console. Although the drive letter was visible I could not access any data on the drive. I opened a command prompt and ran a chkdsk /f on it and the corrupt sectors were sorted. I could now see the data in  explorer. So I put the disk back in the netbook and it worked fine. I backed everything up and all is running well. We can now close this thread. Thanks again for your suggestions.

11 Posts

April 26th, 2015 01:00

I was unistalling some usless programs when my laptop died & when I turned it on I had unmountable boot volume 0x000000ED (the blue screen)

If I hit repair windows it goes to a black screen with the mouse (nothing else)
Now I tried f8 & then did command prompt but after it had gone to the loading files screen it had gone back to the blue screens with unmountable boot volume 0x000000ED.
I DL windows 7 repair but how do I get it to install when I cant get past the blue screen?
so i decide to repair it my self and then i found this great solution what helps me

3 Posts

August 19th, 2015 04:00

One possible solution I've see is Solution 1 – Set Your SATA Controller to Compatability/IDE/Standard Mode (in the BIOS) but not sure if that will help.

or otherwise you can try this

No Events found!