Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2006 16:00

Blue Screen of Death, now no mouse, keyboard or sound

DELL Demension E510, 3.0 GHZ, 1GB RAM. I got the Blue Screen Of Death last night. Before I could copy down the error codes it was shutting down. I do remember seeing an error for my USB. When I reboot I can't use my Mouse or Keyboard, they're wireless but connect through a USB port, and I have no sound. I got the BSOD while downloading updated drivers on the DELL Support web site. I believe it was updating my processor driver at the time.
I've rebooted using safe mode and the mouse and keyboard still don't work. I've also rebooted back to restore to earlier working state.
Of course my warranty from Dell ran out 2 weeks ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You very much

2.9K Posts

December 17th, 2006 22:00

Spanky32354,
When troubleshooting it helps to disconnect all USB devices.  Connect PS/2 mouse and keyboard and monitor only.  On the Safe Mode menu, you should have an option to disable automatic restart on error.  This should allow you to see the BSOD message when you attempt to boot in normal mode.

If you can boot into Safe Mode, do the following:
Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD drive.
Click on Start|Run.
Type sfc /scannow.
Press Enter.

The System File Checker will verify that your protected system files are correct.  Be patient.  This can take over 30 minutes in some cases.    Once it completes, reboot your system.

Let us know what you find.
Tony

2.9K Posts

Spanky32354,
Sorry.  Overlooked the fact that the E510 doesn't have a PS/2 port.  USB keyboard and mouse will be fine.  Will have to be more attentive to model numbers and port availability in future posts.
Let us know how you fare.
Tony

13 Posts

I don't have a PS2 port for the keyboard so I'll unplug everything but the usb keyboard and try that and I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks

13 Posts

December 18th, 2006 00:00

I booted into safe mode but I still can't use my mouse to open anything.

2.9K Posts

December 20th, 2006 01:00

Spanky32354,
Ran into a problem similar to yours this afternoon on a Dell Optiplex G150.  At first, no USB ports were shown in Device Manager.  Went into BIOS setup.  Enabled USB Legacy support.  Win XP then installed two of the USB ports but kept looping on installation of the other two even though nothing was connected to any of the USB ports.  Fortunately G150 has PS/2 ports.  However, could not install HP USB printer.  Plan to do a clean install with Dell Reinstallation CD tomorrow.    Will let you know result.
Tony

13 Posts

December 20th, 2006 02:00

As much as I hated to do it I took my PC into the local Computer Guru's. That way maybe they can  backup my hard drive in case they have to do a complete reinstall. Been there 2 days and haven't heard from them yet. I hope that means they are real busy and not spending 16 hours on my PC.

2.9K Posts

December 20th, 2006 04:00

Spanky32354,
Your local Computer Guru's shop should be able to back up your data.  You may want to learn about Bart's PE CD, Ben Burrows' UBCD for Windows which is based on Bart's PE, and Hiren's Boot CD.  You can enter the above names in Google search to learn how to create these handy bootable utility CDs.
Tony

No Events found!