Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 3rd, 2003 15:00

Britannica won't work for Limited Users - XP Home

I purchased my Inspiron 1100 in May this year, at the same time I took up the offer of Britannica Standard Edition 2002 at $19.95. I'm running Windows XP Home and the computer was purchased in Australia. The program itself works well, but only if you have an administrator account. If I set up another account with administrator status, the program works fine. For anyone else with a Limited Account it won't work. The icon appears in their start menu, but if selected, the message below appears:

"Application settings could not be initialized. (com.ms.wfc.io.WinIO Exception: Access is denied) Please re-install Britannica".

So I've tried re-installing it about 10 times, no good. Thus it's a very frustrating situation in that only administrator accounts can use the program, hardly an ideal way to have a computer set up. Any other software that I've installed has been accessible to any other Limited Accounts. Someone suggested creating a Power User account, but as I'm running XP Home, this isn't applicable to me. I've tried placing the whole Britannica file in the "Shared Documents" after clicking on its property box and the sharing tab. Then no one could use it and I would get the message

java.land.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/swing/UIManager

Has anyone else had a similar problem with Britannica Standard Edition 2002? Does anyone have a solution to this problem. Thanks in advance for any advice.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2003 21:00

I haven't checked the Britanica web site, but there are some programs that will only run with Administrator's rights.  This may be one of those.  Have you checked the Britanica site?

7 Posts

December 4th, 2003 05:00

Yep, I had checked their site and had emailed them, but to no avail.

However, the problem has now been solved, thanks to another email from Britannica, and you were right, it was to do with it not working with only administrator rights. Thanks for the reply.

6 Posts

December 7th, 2003 01:00

I don't know about the situation with non-administrators, but Brittanica 2003 gives me the same error message and I'm logged onto Windows XP Pro as an Administrator! (on an Inspiron 600m).

I'll look at the Brittanica site, but it looks like faulty software to me.

dave

No Events found!