Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

May 24th, 2004 17:00

Can't access bootcfg on XP Home.....

I'm trying to remove a OS from my boot.ini and for some odd reason, command prompt doesn't recognize bootcfg. I'm running XP Home on my Dell Dimension 8100. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

593 Posts

May 24th, 2004 18:00

Right click on My Computer and go to the Advanced Tab.  From there click on the Settings button under Startup and Recovery.  Then under the System Startup field you will see an Edit button.  Your boot.ini file will open up in notpad so you can remove the unwanted OS.

21 Posts

May 24th, 2004 18:00

Is it safe to just directly deleted the unwanted OS in the notepad?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 24th, 2004 19:00

You don't need Bootcfg to edit the boot ini file. Bootcfg cannot be run from within Windows or a command prompt. You must boot to the Win XP cd to run Bootcfg. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291980&Product=winxp  and here are the instructions for the boot.ini edit: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q289022 

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

May 24th, 2004 20:00

@Mary G wrote:
You don't need Bootcfg to edit the boot ini file. Bootcfg cannot be run from within Windows or a command prompt.

Actually, bootcfg can be run from a command prompt within Windows. The arguments for the command are a completely different set than those available within Recovery Console.

dbizzle,

Yes, it's perfectly safe to delete the extraneous operating system in Notepad.

Message Edited by Denny Denham on 05-24-2004 02:27 PM

2.4K Posts

May 25th, 2004 02:00

Does bootcfg /? work on your Home version, Denny? It's not recognized on mine.

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

May 25th, 2004 04:00

maxd,

I have XP Pro. I have seen reports that it does not work on XP Home but I have been unable to find anything definitive (such as a statement from Microsoft) that says it should not work on either version, or that it is not included in XP Home. I suspect the latter, or at least that it is not available in XP Home except through Recovery Console.

2.4K Posts

May 25th, 2004 14:00

I have not had the need to run it but it does appear as a command option in Recovery Console. Notepad seems to be the tool for us Home users in Windows.
No Events found!