Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

May 9th, 2009 18:00

Cannot Access Dell Restore Partition, Need Help Badly

I really, really need to use the restore partition in order to, well, restore my laptop to the condition I got it in.  However, the Ctrl + F11 method does absolutely nothing.  I've hammered the two keys till my fingers bled.  I've previously reinstalled Windows XP, and according to some sources reinstalling a OS will make F11 nonfunctional.

HOWEVER, there is indeed some hope.  I found this little site: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm, which has some pretty in-depth advice about using the partition without F11.  However, I'm an idiot and I have very little clue as to what he's talking about.  I have a few questions:

From what I understand, we do the following:  First, you download the program, DsrFIX.  Then, we extract it (question 1).  Then we boot from the DOS boot disk (Question 2).  Then, somehow, you run a command, DsrFIX. (Question 3).  The program does its thing, and assuming everything workd, you run the command DsrFIX /F.  That then allows you to use the Ctrl +F11 combination as it would normally be used.

Question 1: When you 'Extract dsrfix.com from the archive' (quoted) where do you extract it to?  I need to boot from a CD, so do you extract it there?  Or will anywhere do?
Question 2: What is the DOS Boot Disk?  Is that the CD that is used to reinstall the OS, and you boot it from the F12 menu?
Question 3: How do you run a command?

So go on, help a poor fool out.

1.1K Posts

May 9th, 2009 21:00

Hi there Bradk16

Just out of interest

If you’ve already done a successful XP Clean install, not sure why you would now want to use Dell PC Restore (DSR) utility?

Yes, using DSR is quicker & you don’t need any Dell CDs

But you still need to do all the other things required both before & after doing a XP Clean install

E.g. reinstall ALL software installed since computer purchase date (the most time consuming workload)

It’s for that reason & removing the Dell  preinstalled “bloat ware” that most would rather just use Clean Install procedure

Using Dsrfix tool to repair the Dell modified master boot record is normally not recommended unless user has above average technical competence e.g. in using DOS type tools & commands etc…

Don’t get a lot of feedback from members trying to use the Dsrfix tool, but if you really want to try it & like a tech challenge, then read this detailed feedback post from forum member wehe2go, click here

Good luck

3 Posts

May 10th, 2009 08:00

Having done a reinstall, I found the drivers, updates, etc incredialy confusing.  The worst part, however, was that I was completely unable to conenct to the internet: only hours before the reinstall I had connected fine using my wireless connection, and immediately after doing the reinstall, the computer couln't detedct the wirless connection, even when plugged directly in with an Ethernet cable nothing changed.  The internet was still nonfuctional.  The main computer and the other laptop both work fine.  I downloaded all the drivers and reinstalled Windows XP again, and nothing changed. 

When I first opened my laptop, on the very first day, it detected the connection immediately and as soon as I logged in I could access the internet.  I am hoping that by using the System Restore I could return to those happy days, have my internet connection back and continue on as i had before. 

Now, if the Restore Partition process is as difficult as you say, I may have to find some other way.  But and help you could give would be great, speciffically, how to boot to DOS.

Thanks alot,
Brad.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

May 10th, 2009 09:00

Hi, Have a look at this HERE, and see if you can repair it at the Command Prompt. The model number is different, take no notice of it.

3 Posts

May 10th, 2009 16:00

Sorry, no Vista. Thanks for the help though. Just for future refernce, it's a Dell Vostro 100 laptop running Windows XP.  I have all the disks that came with it, ie Windows XP and Service Pack 2, Works, Drivers and Utilities, etc.

1.1K Posts

May 10th, 2009 18:00

Hi again Bradk16

Sounds like the Reinstall drivers part of XP Clean Install may have been unsuccessful  :emotion-18: ?

For Dell step-by-step procedure for XP Clean Install click here

Read & follow each step carefully, you’d be surprised how many people don’t

Could be you reinstalled wrong driver or missed one, or reinstalled drivers in wrong order?

Knowing original build spec does help identify correct required drivers (e.g. wireless card type/spec)

Drivers & Downloads for Vostro 1000 Windows XP OS platform is here

You may need to click on Operating System platform & change from Vista to Windows XP for correct selection of drivers

Most use a blank CD to copy required drivers from Resource CD or Dell Driver Download

And create a separate folder (clearly named) for each extracted driver to be placed in

Then use that driver CD to reinstall each driver as part of XP Clean Install process

Drivers must be reinstalled in a specific order, easier if you know each driver folder name

For correct order click here

(Notebook System Software for your Vostro 1000 is identified under System Utilities)

Reply if you require further help/clarification

No Events found!