Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2012 14:00

Cannot boot from CD, dell optiplex gx280 0G8310 motherboard

I got virus ridden so spent 2 days installing new scanners and got rid of the bugs (one of the blacoles and trojanproxy:win32/sefbov.e) but my OS was damaged beyond repair, so used my dell installation disc to run a new installation.  The only problem is this computer will not allow me to boot from the CD, i have tried 3 different dvd/cd rom, cd/rom,cd/rewriter all known to be working but they will not boot from, i always get the error message, 'selected boot device not available.'  So i had to run a new installation from within xp pro but that left files on my HDD and one of the virus' returned after new installation and my newly installed games will also not work.

I have searched for hours on the net as to how i can boot from the CD but not one page tells me such, there is no known fix on the net about this, all them discussions asking for this installation boot from cd fix end without any good advise being given, and every advice i read and tried did not fix this problem.

I'm a bit of a newbie to computers but know more than beginners, if anyone knows the fix please help me out.  Ive spent 3 days tryna get rid of the virus's, 2 days reinstalling everything and my computer is just the same, i work from home on this computer and havent been able to do anything for close to a week now.  I thought computers were cool till microsoft entered the equation and now we all have problems that cant be fixed but have to be avoided or sidelined.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 17:00

The boot order can be changed permanently in BIOS. F2 at boot-up

Or F12 at boot-up for a one-time boot menu.

14 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 18:00

I've tried everything normally used and it says 'Boot Device is not available"  my computer will boot the wrecked OS system from HDD but not from installation CD disc on boot up. Ive used 3 different dvd/cd rom/cd rewriters and they did play other discs, and the dell xp pro installation disc will play from within XP but wont boot from dvd player/CD rom.  This is a common problem with Dell opti 280's, theres masses of pages on the net about it and not one fix has been given in the replies.  The discussions just end.

ive tried 3 different routes to boot from CD and none worked, i think its time i gave up on Dell and went to a better manufacturer who does care about after sales service.

I think I'm best just running as many freeware malware, virus and spyware programs i can, ive just tried superantispyware and it picked up 199 cookies which were hiding in my system, even though my browsers have cookie settings set to delete when program shut downs.

I've also tonight found  rootkit zeroaccess virus on my system, Combofix found that for me.

so ive had the blacole virus', trojanproxy:win32/sefbov.e   and rootkit zeroaccess and whilst hundreds of cookies were hiding in my system, all this in my system when i ran a new installation, i thought a new installation would get rid of the virus's but it didnt, they just moved to the new installation probably because i was installing from within XP, hence me still wanting to install xp pro from booting cd but cant.

microsoft security essentials picked up the blacole and trojannproxy virus and deleted them, but they were creating duplicates of themselves which dont kick in till after next reboot, hence they are still here after deletion.

windows malicious software removal tool and microsofts safety scanner picked up nothing, those are the 5 freeware programs I'm trying again, anyone have any other ideas about which freeware virus/spyware and malware programs i can try out after these 5!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 12:00

Does BIOS show the correct info for the optical drive currently installed?

How many optical drives do you have and are they IDE or SATA drives? If you have more than one optical drive, you may have to disconnect one of them while you install XP. If they're IDE drives, the boot optical drive must be connected at the end of the flat ribbon cable for this to work. If they're SATA drives, disconnect the second one and turn off that SATA port in BIOS setup.

And if it's a DVD drive, it may not be able to boot a Win XP CD.

If you change the hardware around, be sure to remove the motherboard battery and press/hold the power button for ~30 sec. Then reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) before booting. This will force BIOS to examine all the hardware and possibly clear the error(s).

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 17:00

Another thought...

If the optical drive uses an IDE interface, rather than SATA, it must be jumpered to "Cable Select" in order for a Dell PC to recognize and use it correctly. Jumpering it to "Master" or "Slave" is not going to work.

There's probably a sticker on the optical drive showing how to set its jumper for the different options. Again, you need Cable Select. If there's no sticker, look on the driver manufacturer's web site for jumpering instructions for the exact model optical drive you're trying to use.

14 Posts

March 1st, 2012 09:00

Cheers guys, got things sorted now as good as i can get it.  did a new install from within xp pro but it kept the virus's, so did another new install from within xp then after install used different anti virus, malware, spyware and adware programs, all full free products instead of me using the limited free programs i used before.  First new install i was using freebie limited programs, many of which give false security warnings so to make you want to upgrade to a premium program.  First new install kept files from old operating system, and upon booting computer the old operating system was still configured and i had the choice to run that instead of new install, second new install got rid of that

Got rid of the virus' but still getting rare misdirections from websites to sites offering paid services.

I'm using Kaspersky internet security, Kaspersky anti virus and Kaspersky tdsskiller, also using MS Fix It Center (beta) it fixes windows, software and configuration problems before they fester into bigger problems, also using MS Defender too.  And xtra scanners I'm using is MS Malicious Software Removal Tool and MS Security Scanner.

The programs i was using which didnt get rid of my virus's and similar were superantispyware, combofix, malwarebytes and MS Security Essentials, whilst also having 2 other MS scanners to be used whenever i please.  I've managed to use about 12 different anti virus programs in the last 2 weeks, Avg Free wasnt good, Avast was fair but didnt get rid of the problems, they seem to be more concerned with giving a free program which is different to the rest instead of building a good free program. Avira was also fair but not perfect, but then i also learnt from the net to use anti virus programs in a badly infected system while in safe mode with networking, that may have got rid of the problems for me more than the programs i was using.

My system is running really smoothly now, better than ever before, more than 30 processes running while im not doing anything except for viewing task manager and cpu usage in performance table gives one spike in a full page whilst the rest is under 2% cpu usage, but im still getting automatic and rare website misdirections to paid services websites, probably the hackers who put dodgy data in my system.

At one point I heard a room full of foreign people speaking through my computer, probably a room full of Chinese hackers looking for valuable personal information in my system, which I never put in this computer anyhow.  I think I'm learning the hard way what I need to learn about computers and the net, and my final say is I will never buy a brand new computer even when my publishing firm is up and running, and the second hand ones i will buy i will make sure can be booted from CD with the installation disc supplied with it.

The info youve given me on how to boot from CD ill keep for the next new install, cheers guys, much appreciated.

I think computers are like women, brilliant when working fine, but a complete nightmare when messed up inside!

No Events found!