Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2008 20:00

Cannot get rid of Mc Afee firewall

Good evening, I have jsu taken delivery of a new XPS420 running Vista, The machine came with a 30 day trial of McAfee which I thought I had ordered 15months worth. I had a 3 licence copy of Kaspersky 7.0 Internet security from my last computer which died. I have uninstalled Mc Afee from Control panel and run the Mc Afee uninstall tool and there is no sign of it on my machine except "Security Centre" reports that I have 2 firewalls running. Kaspersky and Mc Afee with the subsequent warnings. Since I have no Mc Afee on my system I have no means to stop it running and Mc Afee technical help can't solve the issue either. Their advice is to contact the OS manufacturer which I assume is Dell as OEM. It may be just a bad report but I cannot share my printer with my wifes laptop even when I disable Kaspersky and windows firewall. Adding a printer to her laptop and browsing for it shows up nothing therefore I believe McAfee firewall is blocking it. Anyone have any ideas or even who to contact.

Thank you

2.3K Posts

download the removal tool, go to https://us.mcafee.com/root/MCPR2.exe

Peace

17 Posts

Good evening, Thanks for the prompt reply. I have already done that but did it again and still no luck. Security centre still reports multiple firewalls running and there is no way I can stop McAfee since the program is uninstalled. I cannot find McAfee in task manager so maybe its a false report however i cannot for the life of me get printer sharing to work. Any advice or checks much appreciated. McAfee can't fix it says its a windows problem!!

14.4K Posts

May 20th, 2008 21:00

here's some other info on trying to get rid of it..

http://community.mcafee.com/showpost.php?p=491014&postcount=10

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 21st, 2008 00:00

Hi Dazeoff,

Have a look HERE, in particular the fix supplied by "Malke"

Good Luck.

301 Posts

May 21st, 2008 00:00

This may seem like a ridiculous question, but did you reboot the computer? 

984 Posts

May 21st, 2008 02:00

Your main problem appears to be the inability to share your printer. You have not said how the computers are networked. If they are connected by an Ethernet crossover cable or through a simple Ethernet switch you will have to manually assign suitable IP addresses to both computers. Let me know if you need more on this.

17 Posts

May 21st, 2008 09:00

I have this computer hard connected to Netgear wireless router. My wifes laptop and my sons connect wirelessly to the internet through the router. It was working fine in XP until my motherboard gave up so I was forced into buying this Dell 420 which only ships with Vista. I have configured Kaspersky to share printers as far as I can make out and disabling all the firewalls I can ,ie Windows and Kaspersky the laptops cannot see any printers when I try to add a networked printer attached to another machine. It onlt sees Microsft Windows Network. Usually it would see the HP and Samsung attached to this machine which I then share. Hope this helps.

Andy

17 Posts

May 21st, 2008 09:00

Thanks for the reply. I have rebooted the machine several times. McAfee took me through the Command prompt route to stop security centre etc and reboot after that. It is still showing as running.

984 Posts

May 21st, 2008 10:00

Andy.   Try the following if you have not already done so:

On your DELL 420 choose Start > Network >Network and Sharing Center.

Does Vista identify your existing network and show connection to the internet? Assuming it has, to the right of the network icon click the Customize link.

In the Set Network Location dialog box select the Private option and type in the same network name as used on the other networked computers.

When you click the Next button you will get confirmation of your network settings.

Your other computers should show up in the Network window.

Hopefully you will be able to see any shared printers.

17 Posts

May 21st, 2008 11:00

Good afternoon John,

Thank you for responding. I have tried to follow what you suggest and although there are at least 2 other computers on my Network and I have allowed for discovery of network and enabled printer sharing there is no evidence of this in the icons. It shows "This computer" __Network___Internet. If I click on "View full map" it says "windows cannot create the network map. Response from other devices is delayed or there is an incompatible router on the network. Router is Netgear DG834GT. I was thinking that it is a firewall issue as was the reason of the first post suggesting that I have 2 firewalls running so don't know what to try next.

All your input is most appreciated.

Andy

984 Posts

May 21st, 2008 13:00

Andy.   Make sure your other computers running Windows XP both have had Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed.

Assuming SP2 has been installed, run the Network Setup Wizard. On the XP computers choose Start > All programs > Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard.

When you have finished answering all the questions the network should be in operation. Try going to Start > Network etc on your Vista computer.

17 Posts

May 21st, 2008 15:00

Good Afternoon John,

I have re read your last post several times regarding the network name and I think you are onto the right track. Windows XP labels the network "Workgroup". Vista seems to have an allowance to let "unspecified" into the equation and defaults as "Network" which is not common with the other machines running XP.. At the moment I have one laptop that I can now see and can printer share with.

I am still working on the rest but you have given me the right track to follow. Can't than you enough. I believe the original post regarding 2 firewalls running is just a fragment left over from the McAfee uninstall and in fact I really don't have 2 running. When I couldn't printer share after following all the instructions and disabling any other protection I had I was sold down the idea that it was all a firewall issue.

Will post back when/if I am fully operational but have to go back to work now. Thank you very much again.

Andy

984 Posts

May 21st, 2008 17:00

Andy.   Thanks for your feedback. I did feel that the firewall issue was not the main factor in establishing a network connection. Yes it is important that all the computers use the same network name.

I take it that the non-Vista computers are running Windows XP with SP2.

Please note that Microsoft says the following:

The network map on a computer running Windows Vista shows a graphical view of the computers and devices on your network and how they are connected by using the LLTD protocol. The LLTD responder must be installed on a computer running Windows XP before it can be detected and appear on the network map.

If the network map is problematic you can download the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder using the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

Message Edited by Sofu on 05-22-2008 06:45 AM

17 Posts

May 22nd, 2008 15:00

Good afternoon John,

All is well here!! The Firewall issue seems to be a red herring as I now have 2 laptops printer sharing following your guidance. As for the Link Layer I will not bother as it seems to be OK without it and I don't want to create another issue. I suppose I will have to learn to like Vista as it is now the only game left in town but after XP it seems so top heavy. Just like to thank everyone else that contributed to my original post for their time and patience. No doubt I will run into other issues in the future and it is so good to know there are experts out there willing to give their input to help.

Thanks again and best wishes to you all.

Andy

984 Posts

May 22nd, 2008 17:00

Andy.   Glad to hear you are up and running.  I too am acclimatizing to Vista after years of stable running with XP which is still on my desktop PC.:smileyhappy:
No Events found!