Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2010 16:00

Cannot set time.....

getting an error message  on a new XPS 8100. I tied to synchronize with Internet Time server and none of the locations will connect.  I keep receivng an error message.

• 

17K Posts

July 16th, 2010 06:00

aps @ sun,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

See if the information from the link below will resolve your issue.

Internet Server Time

2 Intern

• 

2.7K Posts

July 16th, 2010 17:00

Dell-Jesse, Thanks for the reply and sorry that it has taken so much time to send a reply.  McAfee caused this problem and the paragraph below is what enabled a fix for me. I am not too keen on McAfee, however since it came with my new XPS computer I decided to try McAfee again after many years of not using this program.  I wish I could say I like McAfee. Brand new computer and McAfee causes my first problem!   Annie

"Change Your Firewall Settings

I don’t have a screenshot for you here, but third party firewalls will often block the time servers, causing the sync to not work properly. If you are using McAfee or another firewall, you’ll need to use the configuration utility to unlock NPT access on UDP port 123."

881 Posts

July 16th, 2010 18:00

Almost ALL of my problems with my system were related to McAfee!! I wanted to try to make it work since I had the 15 month subscription. When I finally got rid of EVERYTHING McAfee my XPS 8100 has been rock solid. I use the free version of Avast! and NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Ditch McAfee. To reallly remove it fully you will have to use the removal tool available at the McAfee web site.

Bonus: The McAfee DVD makes a pretty decent frisbee!

Jeff

No Events found!